pointless bicycle accessories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Anybody seen the things call cats ears that attach to a helmet and hang down just infront of you ears to cut wind noise.The silliest thing i'v ever seen
They do look silly and they cost a very silly amount of money, but if you ride somewhere hilly and windy like round here then you would soon experience the problem that they aim to solve!

I was getting very painful ears from the buffeting that they got on our windy 10 minute descents. In fact, I have developed a distorted buzzing sound in my left ear which may be related.

I reduced the severity of the wind noise by putting a couple of twists in each helmet strap, which stops them flapping about so much. The real solution would probably be to stop wearing a helmet and replace it with a hat which could be pulled down over my ears for descents ... :whistle:

Take your hands off the brakes
...and put them over your ears!

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Gear Indicators
So true. When I got my Giant Defy the Tiagra shifters came with indicators. As a noob I though, yes, that will really help me. Truth is, your body tells you what gear you need and not a stupid indicator.

SteveF

I did resort to doing the descents one-handed and covering the opposite ear! Swap hands and ears a couple of times a minute. It is a bit scary doing 30+ mph downhill like that with gusting crosswinds though! :eek:

Ear plugs? Semi-serious suggestion as they were a must for me on the motorbike due to the wind noise, modern ones cut the buzz but still allow you to hear

arch684

Veteran
They do look silly and they cost a very silly amount of money, but if you ride somewhere hilly and windy like round here then you would soon experience the problem that they aim to solve!

I was getting very painful ears from the buffeting that they got on our windy 10 minute descents. In fact, I have developed a distorted buzzing sound in my left ear which may be related.

I reduced the severity of the wind noise by putting a couple of twists in each helmet strap, which stops them flapping about so much. The real solution would probably be to stop wearing a helmet and replace it with a hat which could be pulled down over my ears for descents ... :whistle:
I do live somewhere hilly and windy,I'm in Scotland and i just use ear plugs.

rugby bloke

Veteran
So true. When I got my Giant Defy the Tiagra shifters came with indicators. As a noob I though, yes, that will really help me. Truth is, your body tells you what gear you need and not a stupid indicator.
Until that time when you are on a steep climb and your body convinces you that there is one more gear to down to ... except there isn't !

Slick

Guru

Could you not just use a buff for under your helmet? That could cover your ears.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
This: the umpteenth reincarnation of indicators for bicycles.

At any price they'd be a farking joke but this guy wants to retail these at £200!

dimspark.jpg

dimspark2.jpg

Thankfully he failed to reach even half of his crowdfunding target so there's every chance it'll die a horrible death, hopefully costing him enough of his own money to put him off any similar stupid ideas.

Top Bottom