pointless bicycle accessories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Its unlawful for a shop to sell a bike that doesn't conform to BSEN14764/5/6, or 147682. Oddly, the standard itself doesnt make direct reference to the reflectors, but in turn itself quotes the pointnof sale regs for each specific EU country, which doesn't immediately spring to mind but doubtless someone will be along soon to remedy that.

Whilst it's far from useless, doesn't a bell also full under those regs? Certainly all the bikes for sale in Decathlon have a cheap "dinger" bell fitted (along with spoke reflectors)

Useless accessory....those cheap gps trackers that rely on other users to be in range to find it for you, rather than a real tracker. I give you the "Cricket"

http://www.b45h.com/

winjim

Smash the cistern
Apologies, it got confused between reflectors and protectors.
I'm not confused. I may well be wrong, but that's a different thing.

ETA: Here's the legislation mentioning bells and reflectors
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/198/regulation/4/made

EN14781 says:
4.16 Spoke protector
A bicycle with rear gear-change sprockets can be fitted with a spoke-protector guard to prevent the chain interfering
with or stopping rotation of the wheel through improper adjustment or damage.
(My bold)

I distinctly remember my Cytech theory course mentioning spoke protectors as a legal requirement, but I may be mistaken and my Cytech login's expired so I can't check.

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
Reflectors on spokes are not a legal requirement and are somewhat pointless.
I believe the law requires them to be fitted at the point of sale for new bikes, but they are not required to be used.

Nope, not at all a requirement at POS either
Cycling UK disagrees with you

And indeed the legislation
4.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), a person must not supply a bicycle unless the requirements of paragraphs (3) to (12) of this regulation are satisfied.
[..]
(5) Retro reflective material or a retro reflector (or a combination) must be attached to, or incorporated in, the front wheel or tyre so that light is capable of being reflected to both sides of the bicycle.

(6) Subject to paragraph (7), retro reflective material or a retro reflector (or a combination) must be attached to, or incorporated in, the rear wheel or tyre so that light is capable of being reflected to both sides of the bicycle.

Top Bottom