Pointless cycle paths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A few around here in West Sussex, designed to get cyclists to cross the carrageway safetly, where cycle paths change to other side of carrage way, good for the newer or timid cyclist.However, more experiance cyclists very rarely use cyclepaths so wil not be of much concern to them. whilst it seems laughable to some and a waste of money, if it saves at least one newer or timid rider from being injured or killed, then it good for me.
I don't know what the cycle-paths are like in East Sussex but up here, they're used by all sorts of cyclists. One can stick to the roads if they prefer and be halted by numerous sets of traffic lights, roundabouts and junctions, or use the cycle-paths and bypass them all.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Anything to do with the bridge to the left?

@Drago, maybe something similar to those "Police Only" ramps on motorways?
Can see your thinking not clear in pic it’s not a bridge that the side of unit in the business park

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Nothing that needs or makes you need any help. It’s a straight road both sides
there's a similar very short one up here that enables us to pull off the carriageway and cross to the shared use path when it's safe to do so. Before the council installed it it was a tricky road to cross. The only downside is some dog walkers think it's a parking space for their car.

[edit] we also have some silly short ones with no logical reason for their existence.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
I totally get need for them and love to see more. It’s just ones like this make a joke of the whole idea of them. Give even more anti bike voice to already vocal lot.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
It's to get cyclists safely around the pot hole in the foreground.

Slick

Guru
There's a similar one at the back of Glasgow Airport. It's designed to put cyclists onto the very rough footpath on the wrong side of the road if you are travelling north. Best ignored.
Very rough indeed and littered with glass. I used to see one guy on it most morning's and wondered just how many visits he would get.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Agreed, it's probably there to encourage cyclists to cross/turn perpendicular to the road, which is generally safer because it's easier to look left and right.
Except it looks like they've farked up the re-entry to the road so you can't be perpendicular unless you've a very short wheelbase (folding bike or similar).

Another thing is that it should be obvious what it's for (a direction sign with the jug-handle arrow on it) else cyclists new to the route or using it infrequently probably won't notice it because they'll be looking to turn right, not pull off left. That someone has had to ask here what it's for is a sign that it probably doesn't have such a sign. For example, recently I forgot about this one in Norwich and did a somewhat dubious right-turn at the lights from the carriageway as directed by my cycling sat nav:
ze=640x640&pano=k9hjjfxDXZ3tCN25aEfIjA&heading=33.77123665179134&fov=89.99999999999999&pitch=-17.jpg

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
There's a 20-30 yard section on Balmore rd at Lambhill, heading out of Glasgow. Completely separate, bollards and all
It's close to where you can join the canal path but doesn't quite make it.
You would have to rejoin the roadway just as it narrows.

Pass it most days and have never seen it used.

Top Bottom