Police advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
At the risk of stating the obvious that is astonishingly shoot driving, and the Plod's comments are plain silly - hop off onto the pavement ffs!

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

At the risk of stating the obvious that is astonishingly shoot driving, and the Plod's comments are plain silly - hop off onto the pavement ffs!

And to be honest, I wouldn't have a problem getting off my bike and hopping on to the pavement, I've done it loads of times when I've had something hurtling towards me from the opposite direction or trying to close pass round a corner... Whilst I wouldn't put my safety on the line just to be right, I also think it's a bad message to give motorists that a cyclist will 'get out of your way' at every opportunity. There's one person on this bike, there's one person in that car and we both have the right to use the road safely without jeopardising the safety of the other.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Maybe it's the fisheye lens distorting it... He was right behind me.

Even if I had stayed put, he would still have gone over his line on a red with a cyclist in front of him; I mean it's not death and destruction but I'd hardly call it a non-incident and the copper is writing a letter to said motorist so doesn't look like he deems it a non-incident either...
Ok fair enough, but I'd rather arrive a few minutes later. Rather than arrive at A and E in an ambulance, so I'd probably have got out of the way tbh. I also do this with HGV's stay well away, statistics are too unfavourable for cyclists.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Where you are stopped it does rather look as if you might be turning left.

I would have stooped a metre further forward and a metre further over.

And/or made eye contact with the driver and made a clear horizontal Nazi salute to indicate where I was going.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

You can request the owners details for LF05 XOE

https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

Edited: I guess it is past that point already

Useful info, thanks Rooster. As I say, my intention with this all along was for the guy to be told by the police that his driving was not acceptable. I just dont think the attitude of the police (as demonstrated by the reponse I got) generally helps people understand what is safe and what is not.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Where you are stopped it does rather look as if you might be turning left.

I would have stooped a metre further forward and a metre further over.

And/or made contact with the driver and made a clear horizontal Nazi salute to indicate where I was going.

lol well, an inch forward and I'd have RLJ'd (even though Im usually the ONLY cyclist at that junction to wait so far back!) but yes, I take your point about being in a more primary position.

Its a ridiculous reponse.. They should prosecute the motorist as it pretty clear. OP's minor indiscretion could be an advice. I think the guy is lazy to follow thru with the prosecution.

I would escalate this or go to the press. Its really poor. OP should be commended for raising this thru the approrpiate channel for the benefit of the wider community. Instead a terrible response in reply.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
lol well, an inch forward and I'd have RLJ'd (even though Im usually the ONLY cyclist at that junction to wait so far back!) but yes, I take your point about being in a more primary position.

If I cycled - or drove a car - a lot in London I would need to learn about all these lines at junctions.

I didn't bother too much with them last time I cycled there over three days a couple of years ago.

On reflection, I was lucky not to get some form of official sanction.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

If I cycled - or drove a car - a lot in London I would need to learn about all these lines at junctions.

I didn't bother too much with them last time I cycled there over three days a couple of years ago.

On reflection, I was lucky not to get some form of official sanction.

I was thinking actually, how do motorists know about ASZ's? I only know because I cycle and I've looked into it but I've never seen any kind of ad campaign or notification about them. I'm sure many professional drivers know about them because of work but I don't think most private drivers and the vast majority of motorcyclists even realise they're committing an offence when they drive over the first line.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I was thinking actually, how do motorists know about ASZ's? I only know because I cycle and I've looked into it but I've never seen any kind of ad campaign or notification about them. I'm sure many professional drivers know about them because of work but I don't think most private drivers and the vast majority of motorcyclists even realise they're committing an offence when they drive over the first line.

Isn't the bloody great cycle painted on them a hint they may be for bicycles only? Anyway, ignorance is no excuse - if they don't know they should find out. As for motorcyclists, most of them know full well but they don't care, which is why they tell me to fark off when I point it out to them.

AndyRM

XOXO

I think they had a leafleting campaign in London a couple of years ago. Don't think there's been anything particularly wide-spread though.

EthelF

Rain God
Incredibly impatient from the driver. I didn't have a problem with the letter until he went into the whole 'better to be safe than in the right' spiel.

I all but gave up on Roadsafe after receiving pretty much the same advice when a tipper narrowly missed me while carrying out a 3 point turn on a busy road. I was cycling in a mandatory cycle lane during its hours of operation, the tipper was halfway through the 3 point turn waiting for a gap in traffic to turn right to go the same way as I was, and just as I was passing he went for it, missed me by c2m, front wheels entering the cycle lane. The car BEHIND ME flashed him to go and he went for it. Bloidy scary to have a tipper suddenly accelerate towards you when you have no escape routes!
Roadsafe response? 1) Had I attended one of the Met's "exchanging places" sessions I'd realise how many nirror checks the driver has to do (erm, all the driver had to do was look out of the window!) and 2) those tippers have a tight turning circle so he probably wouldn't have entered the cycle lane even if it looked like he might (except the rear camera footage showed the tipper entering the lane immediately behind me).

With responses like that, why bother with Roadsafe?

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I all but gave up on Roadsafe after receiving pretty much the same advice when a tipper narrowly missed me while carrying out a 3 point turn on a busy road. I was cycling in a mandatory cycle lane during its hours of operation, the tipper was halfway through the 3 point turn waiting for a gap in traffic to turn right to go the same way as I was, and just as I was passing he went for it, missed me by c2m, front wheels entering the cycle lane. The car BEHIND ME flashed him to go and he went for it. Bloidy scary to have a tipper suddenly accelerate towards you when you have no escape routes!
Roadsafe response? 1) Had I attended one of the Met's "exchanging places" sessions I'd realise how many nirror checks the driver has to do (erm, all the driver had to do was look out of the window!) and 2) those tippers have a tight turning circle so he probably wouldn't have entered the cycle lane even if it looked like he might (except the rear camera footage showed the tipper entering the lane immediately behind me).

With responses like that, why bother with Roadsafe?

To be honest, I used to use Roadsafe a lot but I got the impression that it's pretty much a toothless publicity stunt to be 'seen' to be doing something. Now I only report stuff I regard as serious where there's no actual collision. When I do get hit (or see someone else get hit), I'd front up to the police station camera in hand..

I know this incident doesnt look that bad on camera, it never looks quite as bad as it feels when it's happening, but I really was appalled by this guy's driving.

I just hope that the letter he receives will give him a bit of a reality-check.

Top Bottom