Police advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The way I would have read this situation is that the mini was indicating and you knew where he was going. If you had set off 3 seconds later in would have been a non incident. I wouldnt care if I had right of way, id have let him get out of the way.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The way I would have read this situation is that the mini was indicating and you knew where he was going. If you had set off 3 seconds later in would have been a non incident. I wouldnt care if I had right of way, id have let him get out of the way.

Deferring to motorists who are behind?.. That's not going to encourage bad drivers to change their habits.

My preference would have been that the cyclist took a more central position but I know why he chose not to.

GC

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Was the response signed by a Police Officer?

I only mention this as it is a partnership agency and therefore not all the staff are Police officers .

If you are unhappy with the response you got ring them and ask to speak to a supervisor. It may just mean the person who replied to you gets further training and also brings to the managements attention that this is how some of their responses are being interpreted.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Was the response signed by a Police Officer?

I only mention this as it is a partnership agency and therefore not all the staff are Police officers .

If you are unhappy with the response you got ring them and ask to speak to a supervisor. It may just mean the person who replied to you gets further training and also brings to the managements attention that this is how some of their responses are being interpreted.

Yeh, it was a PC.

"Why is my client being prosecuted and the informant isn't when they crossed the line in the same video, there was plenty of room for them to stay where they were as my client passed. This is persecuting the motorist."

This part is utter bollocks. It runs counter to the HC and all accepted good practice. If a driver ignores a road marking and places you in danger the 'authorities' are basically saying suck it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Sorry, I might not have been clear... He moved forward from stationary first and then started to indicate. Either way, you're offering up a false situation, if it had been 3 seconds later, it would have been a green light and we both can legally cross the line, but it wasn't a green light, that's the point... I wasn't worried about right of way particularly, I was worried about getting my bike smashed in by an idiot in a mini.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Deferring to motorists who are behind?.. That's not going to encourage bad drivers to change their habits.

My preference would have been that the cyclist took a more central position but I know why he chose not to.

GC

It appears he was alongside and not behind.

Once the cyclist had realised he had got himself into a bad position letting the mini get out of the way would seem like a sensible option.

I dont think " encouraging" bad driver will make them better drivers.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Sorry, I might not have been clear... He moved forward from stationary first and then started to indicate. Either way, you're offering up a false situation, if it had been 3 seconds later, it would have been a green light and we both can legally cross the line, but it wasn't a green light, that's the point... I wasn't worried about right of way particularly, I was worried about getting my bike smashed in by an idiot in a mini.

He appears to be behind and parallel to you in the clip and then moves alongside you, possibly to get a jump at the lights. I cant see how there was any chance of him hitting you looking at that clip.

It's extremely scary when a driver like this demonstrates that your presence makes no difference. Drivers ignoring cyclists are the ones killing cyclists. If you want to turn left you don't have priority over vehicles in front of you! It's absurd that sentence has to be written down.

grimpeur

Veteran
Driver was a nob. But to be honest that is a slightly unusual junction in that the stop line is a couple of cars' lengths short of the actual left turn. Driver probably felt morally justified in left hooking thinking he/she could easily beat you to the turn. Not much you could have done about preventing it other than going past the red light and stopping closer to the junction. That would technically be a RLJ on your part but unlikely to ever land you in trouble with the law given the circumstances.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Driver was a nob. But to be honest that is a slightly unusual junction in that the stop line is a couple of cars' lengths short of the actual left turn. Driver probably felt morally justified in left hooking thinking he/she could easily beat you to the turn. Not much you could have done about it other than going past the red light and stopping closer to the junction. Technically a RLJ but unlikely to ever land you in trouble with the law given the circumstances.

Funny you should say that... Same junction this evening:

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 18.45.13.png

grimpeur

Veteran
May be that cyclist has had a close encounter there before too!
Tbh I always like to put some air between me and the car behind when waiting at red lights, even if that means technically infringing the stop line.. At least they have a chance of seeing me then. Don't care if I'm in breach of any traffic signs. I know where the safest position for a cyclist is at a red light. better than the guy who designed the junction anyway.

Top Bottom