Police advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Was the response signed by a Police Officer?

I only mention this as it is a partnership agency and therefore not all the staff are Police officers .

If you are unhappy with the response you got ring them and ask to speak to a supervisor. It may just mean the person who replied to you gets further training and also brings to the managements attention that this is how some of their responses are being interpreted.
A partnership agency? Never has been to my knowledge, always been run by the met traffic squad.

J1888

Über Member
Driver was encroaching into safety zone put there for cyclists.

Cyclist was encroaching into safety zone put there for pedestrians.

The car driver is an idiot and should have been fined as they started the incident and can cause the most harm.

Cyclist should be in primary, if you hug the kerb, expect to be overtaken.

Not really - if next to the curb, cyclist has every right to go straight on without someone overtaking to turn left. That's basic road law.

Not really - if next to the curb, cyclist has every right to go straight on without someone overtaking to turn left. That's basic road law.
Of course he had every right to go straight I never said he didn't. But if you stay close to the kerb you will invariably be overtaken. Stay in primary and hold the lane and you won't. That's basic cycle craft.

Last edited:

Maylian

Veteran
In the past I've actually walked my bike directly in front of the driver who is trying to creep forward and signal for them to move back. Probably a little too aggressive a move for many, and I certainly have no experience of cycling in London which is a whole new kettle of fish.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If I cycled - or drove a car - a lot in London I would need to learn about all these lines at junctions.
It's actually pretty simple. If the light is red (or amber) and there is a solid white line across the road in front of you, it is an offence (I think it attracts 3 points and a fine) to cross it. If there's more than one such line and you've already crossed the first, you should stop before the next one.

It's actually pretty simple. If the light is red (or amber) and there is a solid white line across the road in front of you, it is an offence (I think it attracts 3 points and a fine) to cross it. If there's more than one such line and you've already crossed the first, you should stop before the next one.
Same goes for the cyclist though.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Same goes for the cyclist though.
Yeah, like I said, it's not difficult

(User will be along in a minute to point out that some little-known farkup in the drafting of the relevant legislation means that in fact an ASL has no force in law at all, but honestly I can't remember the details)

albion

Guru
self preservarion
Yes, dangerous Roadsafe advice too.

At fast multi carriage way junction roundabouts I always am positioned forwards where possible so that drivers in other lanes can't miss seeing me.
A 3 or 4 lane junction often has the feel of a racetrack when lights go green.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
TBH I'd probably rather position myself forward at the mouth of the junction as in the photo in #44 even though that would be RLJ.
If there's a choice between the law and my safety, my safety wins.

But yeah, driver was an impatient knob, and PCs "advice" to the OP was drivel.

Top Bottom