Police fining cyclist for breaking the law..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

apollo179

I think you're funning with us, Mr (Ms?) Apollo.
Mr (Ms?) Dan B. I think that some people on this forum lose sight of the fact that they represent a minority of cyclists.
The people on this forum are generally intelligent (2 ls), informed about cycling issues as well as other issues and socially responsible. The majority of cyclists out there do not belong to this forum and imho are not so well informed about cycling issues and display varying levels of intelligence and social responsibility.
I can honestly say that before i joined this forum i did not realise that it was illegal to cycle on the pavement or to cycle through a red light.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
before i joined this forum i did not realise that it was illegal to cycle on the pavement or to cycle through a red light.

Just because you didn't, doesn't mean that every other cyclist out there that isn't a member of this forum (or any other cycling forum) does as well.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Mr (Ms?) Dan B. I think that some people on this forum lose sight of the fact that they represent a minority of cyclists.
The people on this forum are generally intelligent (2 ls), informed about cycling issues as well as other issues and socially responsible. The majority of cyclists out there do not belong to this forum and imho are not so well informed about cycling issues and display varying levels of intelligence and social responsibility.
I can honestly say that before i joined this forum i did not realise that it was illegal to cycle on the pavement or to cycle through a red light.
So I take it that you can not drive? Why would you or any other cyclist think road laws don't apply to them? I would more readily believe that many (not most) cyclists choose to ignore those laws.

apollo179

Just because you didn't, doesn't mean that every other cyclist out there that isn't a member of this forum (or any other cycling forum) does as well.

Forum membership suggests a certain level of interest in a subject and an accompanying level of knowledge.
The majority of cyclists dont belong to cycling forums and dont have that level of cycling knowledge (or interest).
The cycling boffins on this forum in numerical terms represent a small minority of the total number of cyclists in this country.
You cannot expect the same level of knowledge from the majority. I was using my own experience as an example not suggesting a universal rule.

Alun

Guru
have you any info on that ? because i've just tried to google it and it doesnt mention anything in the hc site?

it just mentions motor vehicles must stop at the first line and 'sometimes' the asl's have feeder lanes, which since they're cycle lanes, cyclists can enter across solid lines, it's just (again)motor vehicles which cant?

I think this explains it quite well considering it's on a par with the offside rule in football
http://ukcyclerules.com/2010/11/30/advanced-stop-zones/

No doubt you will have some real examples of this? Please share them. I am genuinely interested.

Sorry about the late reply been working!!Ok from over 20 years cycling as an adult. Stopped for "furious" cycling ,Stopped for not wearing a helmet ( yes really!!), Hassled and shouted at for lighting up a 20mph speed sign, stopped for no reflectors in broad daylight.

These are the ones i can remember some ancient some recent.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
[quote name='apollo179' timestamp='1313696213' post='1804230 ]
I was using my own experience as an example not suggesting a universal rule.
[/quote]
So how does that tally with your belief that far more than 51% of cyclists are ignorant of traffic law?

John90

Über Member
So I take it that you can not drive? Why would you or any other cyclist think road laws don't apply to them? I would more readily believe that many (not most) cyclists choose to ignore those laws.

Because for a lot of misinformed people bikes occupy an ill-defined position somewhere between 'pedestrian' and 'road vehicle'. And indeed there is a case for saying they should, or rather they should have a more clearly defined set of rules all of their own. Those might include turning left at junctions on a red light for example.

I don't believe over 50% of people are unaware of the rules, but over 50% on my commute jump lights and a good proportion of those don't look to me like natural law-breakers so I suspect there is a high degree of ignorance and assumption.

apollo179

Why would you or any other cyclist think road laws don't apply to them?

By the same token. Why would you or any other cyclist think road laws do apply to them?
When does a cyclist get told that he cant cycle on the pavement , it is illegal to go through red lights. No-one ever told me.
Now i know but not before.
Im not saying theres anything good about it - its just another persons reality.
My point it is that this is the reality of alot more people that you might think.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Because for a lot of misinformed people bikes occupy an ill-defined position somewhere between 'pedestrian' and 'road vehicle'. And indeed there is a case for saying they should, or rather they should have a more clearly defined set of rules all of their own. Those might include turning left at junctions on a red light for example.

I don't believe over 50% of people are unaware of the rules, but over 50% on my commute jump lights and a good proportion of those don't look to me like natural law-breakers so I suspect there is a high degree of ignorance and assumption.
How is assumption and ignorance different to not knowing the law?

Davidc

Guru
Forum membership suggests a certain level of interest in a subject and an accompanying level of knowledge.
The majority of cyclists dont belong to cycling forums and dont have that level of cycling knowledge (or interest).
The cycling boffins on this forum in numerical terms represent a small minority of the total number of cyclists in this country.
You cannot expect the same level of knowledge from the majority.
I was using my own experience as an example not suggesting a universal rule.

Like it or not you are absolutely correct.

I would add that the majority of cyclists who are members of forums like to improve their knowledge. The majority of the rest of cyclists don't have any interest in knowledge of cycling.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
By the same token. Why would you or any other cyclist think road laws do apply to them?
When does a cyclist get told that he cant cycle on the pavement , it is illegal to go through red lights. No-one ever told me.
Now i know but not before.
Im not saying theres anything good about it - its just another persons reality.
My point it is that this is the reality of alot more people that you might think.
Why? Well it has a lot to do witi the road signs and knowledge that Red means stop. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are not just spoiling for a fight.

apollo179

Like it or not you are absolutely correct.

I would add that the majority of cyclists who are members of forums like to improve their knowledge. The majority of the rest of cyclists don't have any interest in knowledge of cycling.

Agreed.
I joined this forum to improve my knowledge and one of the first things i was surprised to learn was that it was illegal to ride on the pavement. Rljing came later.

apollo179

Why? Well it has a lot to do witi the road signs and knowledge that Red means stop. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are not just spoiling for a fight.

No ive seen your picture.
Seriously - my knowledge or interest in the highway code is below zero. Beleive me it is quite possible to maintain a high level of ignaorance regarding highway code , road laws etc.
For most people the only time they open a highway code is to pass their driving test.
That dosnt make them bad people btw.

Rapples

Guru
I joined this forum to improve my knowledge and one of the first things i was surprised to learn was that it was illegal to ride on the pavement. Rljing came later.

It might be illegal, but by and large it is condoned by society and therefore the police. Personally I blame the ridiculous shared cycle paths for even further blurring what was always a grey area. It further reinforces the "fact" that cyclists shouldn't be on the roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom