Police fining cyclist for breaking the law..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buddfox

Veteran
So no association would be made in the mind of a cyclist that Red means stop. I find it terrifying that people would take to the roads on any form of transport and not no the required laws.

Well as a pedestrian when I walk diagonally across a cross roads (something I do all the time in London) I don't think the red traffic lights mean I should stop (as a pedestrian). What I learn from that is that cars (probably) won't drive through that part of the road and I use it to inform which way I look. The red light is there to control the cars, not the pedestrians. Novice cyclists may easily think the same, no?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Ha! I knew some idiot would write this - congratulations for making the most irrelevant argument in the history of the world.

I would argue if you want a decent society, laws must not always be adhered to. Otherwise we live in a police state!
Er no a police state is one in which the police not a government are in charge. Always good to hear from the CC Anarchist Contingent.

Ha! I knew some idiot would write this - congratulations for making the most irrelevant argument in the history of the world.

I would argue if you want a decent society, laws must not always be adhered to. Otherwise we live in a police state!

thank you for your congratulations . imagine a world without those laws , obeying the laws does not mean we live in a police state, now please go and read lord of the flies

Dan B

Disengaged member
I haven't paid them much attention recently, but don't the boxes with the buttons on pedestrian crossins contain instruction as to when to stop (red man) and when to go (green man)? It doesn't take a great deal of intellience to derive a more general "red means stop" principle, especially if you observe that traffic on the roads stops when there is a red light facing it just as you are instructed to when there is one facing you.

(Yes, I know there's not actually a law requiring you to wait for the green man, but there is a general social expectation that you're proceeding at greater risk of being hit if you don't)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Well as a pedestrian when I walk diagonally across a cross roads (something I do all the time in London) I don't think the red traffic lights mean I should stop (as a pedestrian). What I learn from that is that cars (probably) won't drive through that part of the road and I use it to inform which way I look. The red light is there to control the cars, not the pedestrians. Novice cyclists may easily think the same, no?
Do you understand what the Red Man is for on crossings. If so then it is not a huge leap to associate red with stop.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Now, sometimes you are, sometimes you're not, you have to give way, you don't have to give way. It's why I always cycle on the road, no need to keep checking signs. Have you seen some of the ridiculous cyclepaths where there are dismount signs at every driveway or junction? A sign doesn't always mean you have a legal obligation to follow it., but to disregard it is to lay yourself open to blame or prosecution.

So you don't check the signs to see which bits of the road you're not allowed to cycle on? It isn't just motorways, there's a section of the A13 that cyclists aren't allowed on despite it being an A road.

Have you seen a "Cyclist Dismount" sign on a white background with a red ring round it? If you have, then you have a legal obligation to follow the instruction. Most of the ones I've seen are blue which iirc means they are advisory.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
So you don't check the signs to see which bits of the road you're not allowed to cycle on? It isn't just motorways, there's a section of the A13 that cyclists aren't allowed on despite it being an A road.

Have you seen a "Cyclist Dismount" sign on a white background with a red ring round it? If you have, then you have a legal obligation to follow the instruction. Most of the ones I've seen are blue which iirc means they are advisory.
:thumbsup:

As an ex-lorry(Tri-axel artic types) and large coach driver. I as a cyclist who has cycled through London/Paris think all cyclist ho do rljumping are idiots and they only have them selves to blame if there injured or killed.

It is very difficult to see all around you from the cab of a big lorry or coach, there is so much to look out for besides cyclist. We have to do our bit to help safety on our very busy roads.

And as for the idiots riding through shopping Arcades, they are just stupid & lazy. I had a nutter who rode a electic assisted bike no sound just barged pass me in a very narrow walk way if I had not shouted two woman would be still in Hospital.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
As an ex-lorry(Tri-axel artic types) and large coach driver. I as a cyclist who has cycled through London/Paris think all cyclist ho do rljumping are idiots and they only have them selves to blame if there injured or killed.

It is very difficult to see all around you from the cab of a big lorry or coach, there is so much to look out for besides cyclist. We have to do our bit to help safety on our very busy roads.

And as for the idiots riding through shopping Arcades, they are just stupid & lazy. I had a nutter who rode a electic assisted bike no sound just barged pass me in a very narrow walk way if I had not shouted two woman would be still in Hospital.
Well said.
The nutter on the electrical bike wasn't in Bristol per chance? :smile:

Dan B

Disengaged member
And as for the idiots riding through shopping Arcades, they are just stupid & lazy.
Very probably, but it does not follow that they are breaking the law: the general law governing cycling on footways applies only to footways by the side of roads, and not to pavement in other places. That would require a byelaw or some kind of TRO

Rapples

Guru
Have you seen a "Cyclist Dismount" sign on a white background with a red ring round it?
Yes they are on footpaths where it's illegal to cycle. As I don't cycle on footpaths I never see them when I'm on my bike.
If you have, then you have a legal obligation to follow the instruction.
As I'm not on my bike when I see them it doesn't apply to me
Most of the ones I've seen are blue which iirc means they are advisory.
Yes they are the ones I was talking about, but lets just say you ignored them and were injured, what do you think the defendants insurers would suggest, negligence perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom