Police Officer with a chip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Quite a few on here don't seem to think he was an impatient dickhead cyclist, in fact some would put forward a view it was a clear case of Police Harassment by an anti cyclist rozzer who has no business speaking to a member of the public unless they have broken a law and that we should all start running about on the roadway with our cycles beside us rather than sitting on them and pushing the pedals.

Some may think that but I would say they are wrong. If you are on a bike wait for the lights, if you want to cross on foot dismount and use the pedestrian crossing rather than acting like a duffus running on the road

Imho it was not police harassment however the policeman should have given up when he realised he was trying to reason with an idiot

For the record I don't use earphones and think that anyone that does is a ****, however this thread is not the place to discuss that :stop:

middleman

Regular
Some may think that but I would say they are wrong. If you are on a bike wait for the lights, if you want to cross on foot dismount and use the pedestrian crossing rather than acting like a duffus running on the road

Imho it was not police harassment however the policeman should have given up when he realised he was trying to reason with an idiot

For the record I don't use headphones and think that anyone that does is a ****, however this thread is not the place to discuss that :stop:

I'm in total agreement with you, my posts in the previous 12 pages should allude to that. Not going to open the headphone discussion here hence the :tongue:

Last edited:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Scooters a motor vehicle, so no, not legal.
And no, the fella in the video wasn't a cyclist, he was a pedestrian pushing a bike. So again, like it or not, he wasn't breaking any laws.

Pedestrians are allowed to walk on the road, they don't have to walk on the pavement.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnvPMXq3XoI

Saw this on twitter. What I note from this is how I've been advised by my local constabulary to do the same thing where I feel there is a threat to my safety, or where sensors do not detect cycles. It reminds me of the time my Brother and I stopped a local bobby and questioned why he'd told a kid that taking a photo in public was "illegal". That later lead to an official complaint from my Brother who said the guy had to me made aware of his errors.

I left a comment suggesting the rider takes this further. Another has quoted the Cranks legal case.

How have we got 13 pages and nobody has considered if he's a tridork (sorry, triathlete) rather than a cyclist anyway? That was a very smooth dismount and remount (actually, maybe that's why...).
Wouldn't do it, do know the sequences of the lights on my commute. Do walk the bike across one crossing on the A20 if I arrive as the lights go red because it makes me half a kilometre or more on the traffic stopped at the red which is handy in all sorts of ways.

Col5632

Guru
That was exactly what happened, something everyone had agreed on pages back.

So why controversial then?

Bianchi boy

Über Member
The title of this post is "police officer with a chip" looking at the amateurish way he handled this NON situation, would indicte very strongly that he certainly does have a chip if not a log on his shoulder

RedRider

Pulling through
The whole jumping off the bike, running and jumping back on just isn't a cool look though. Save it for the cyclocross and chill out.

A worrying thread.
The guy with the bike did nothing illegal, and as an adult he is able to calculate any risk for himself and decide whether it is safe to walk/run across the road while pushing a bike.
Yet there are posters on here who want to eradicate all forms of risk from our lives; or so it seems. As @Sara_H has pointed out, there are all types of activities which carry an element of risk but are not illegal. This is where all this OTT health and safety stuff worries me. I am all for health and safety done with a common sense approach, but it is now being used as a method of control; and some posters on here are falling in line with it. Hook, line and sinker.

Spot on that.

doog

The title of this post is "police officer with a chip" looking at the amateurish way he handled this NON situation, would indicte very strongly that he certainly does have a chip if not a log on his shoulder

Try communicating from the inside of a vehicle to someone outside and on your nearside with the engine running without raising your voice ever so slightly. The role of the Police is also to protect the public (so forget the rights and wrongs, stated cases etc), he was totally right in what he did (in my view) by simply giving some 'advice' and was just doing his job...

There's a contingent on here who dont like 'advice'...and a uniform just increases their resentment. Despite accepting the rider might have been a muppet some still prefer to talk in riddles ..

lesley_x

Über Member
Next time I can't be bothered to wait at a traffic light I'm gonna put the car into neutral and push it across. My feet on the floor make me a pedestrian right? :laugh: Should save a few minutes off the commute! :laugh:

Top Bottom