Police officers on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I saw a couple of police officers on bikes on the other day. They looked like cheap and nasty mountain bikes and looked too small for them. I could have given them the slip easily on my bike, if I had been so inclined. I wonder why police forces don't invest more money in decent bikes for their officers using two wheels.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
They looked like cheap and nasty mountain bikes and looked too small for them. I could have given them the slip easily on my bike, if I had been so inclined.

I doubt that the reason they were on bikes was so that they could chase and catch errant cyclists.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I saw a couple of police officers on bikes on the other day. They looked like cheap and nasty mountain bikes and looked too small for them. I could have given them the slip easily on my bike, if I had been so inclined. I wonder why police forces don't invest more money in decent bikes for their officers using two wheels.
As Dave says above. That's not the reason they have them

I could give my local POPO the slip in my lowered, gold wheeled scooby if they were in one of their 1.2 Hyundai's...innit.

Ps I don't actually have a goldwheeled Scooby but you get my point

I suspect its more about response, coverage and distance (same thing really) and has very little to do with re-enacting scenes from the sweeny.

Also...what's decent?...its so subjective

Drago

Legendary Member
When I used to train Dibble (I only train SAR groups now, and only charge expenses) all the forces I visited had quite a stringent minimum spec, which was encouraged by both IPMBA and MIAS.

The only time I found otherwise was when some well meaning business or local bike shop made a donation, and I saw a couple of £99 two wheeled anvils dotted about. They seemed to get little use, usually just enough to make the donors nod sagely in approval, and then they'd be parked up for ever.

Still, the likelihood of you being able to outrun their radio seems pretty remote.

BTW, you can largely forget successful foot chases when wearing 2 stone of PPE and equipment, just ain't gonna happen

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
As Dave says above. That's not the reason they have them

I could give my local POPO the slip in my lowered, gold wheeled scooby if they were in one of their 1.2 Hyundai's...innit.

Ps I don't actually have a goldwheeled Scooby but you get my point

I suspect its more about response, coverage and distance (same thing really) and has very little to do with re-enacting scenes from the sweeny.

Also...what's decent?...its so subjective
I'd sign up if they'd give me a high end road bike to go around chasing crims on.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'd sign up if they'd give me a high end road bike to go around chasing crims on.
Me too, we could start a squad!

"Carbon Force...law of the Lycra"

I see a syndicated, 12 episode first series in the pipe.

Drago

Legendary Member
Spesh and Smith and Wesson were common, as they made out-the-box police liveried and kitted bikes, ready to to roll. Carrera, Giant and to a lesser extent Focus made up the bulk of the remainder, but any brand model that met the spec would occasionally show up.

I used to like the Carreras myself. Solid, workman like, carried the weight well with neutral handling. The Smith and Wesson's were well finished and equipped, but were weighty old things, presumably developed for the more fully upholstered American officer.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've never worked with a Bobby couldn't run after someone because they were so unfit, but many (including myself ) due to the weight of equipment and PPE. A 2XL body armour alone weighs about 7kg, never mind spray, peg, cuffs, first aid kit,, radio, clumpy uniform boots, computer or Blackberry, various pads and paper... all wrapped up in a non breatheable outer layer. Distance, no problem (im a runner myself) but it knocks a quarter to a third off your speed, making it a largely pointless exercise. The weight is so bad that many end their careers prematurely due to hip or back problems brought about by the load.

Rather than address the problem some forces have started issuing rucksacks, which makes things worse as the scrambled egg then start issuing laptops and things to carry around.

Most of those one ends up pursuing are younger, more suitably attired, wearing trainers, and often with the benefit of certain South American powdered stimulants...

The fitness test is laughably easy, I'd hardly broken into a jog by the time it ends. Its no measure of actual fitness, is utterly unepresentative of the physical rigours of police work, and unfairly discriminates against women and those of smaller stature...which tends to be non Caucasians. Its a pointless joke.

So they used to put me through a fitness test to check I was fit enough to run after bad dudes, then issue me with such a weight of uniform and equipment that I had little prospect of catching anyone I ran after anyway - coppers could all be 30 stone bloaters and it'd make little practical difference to the sport of foot pursuits. We know Tom Winsor has never been a copper himself, and no where is this more evident.

Last edited:
Top Bottom