Police officers on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Unless their bikes gets nicked ....

Thief Liam Wilkinson steals policeman's bike from Hull city centre and cycles home

By Hull Daily Mail | Posted: March 23, 2017

By Kevin Shoesmith

0 COMMENTS SHARES
15922203-large.jpg

Liam Wilkinson, left, stole a police bicycle from Hull city centre

A thief pinched a policeman's bicycle outside a Home Bargains store in Hull and cycled home.

Thanks to a tracker fitted to the cycle, officers soon caught up with crook Liam Wilkinson - but only found the saddle when they arrived at his home.

Wilkinson, 23, had been seen on CCTV cutting a chain that PC Paul Moxon had used to secure his bike in a rack in Prospect Street, Hull city centre.

Andrew Vaughan, prosecuting at Hull Magistrates' Court, said police officers visited Wilkinson's home in Park Road, west Hull, where they found the saddle of their bicycle.

BARGAINS.png
'SECURED': PC Moxon had left his bicycle chained to a rack outside Home Bargains in Prospect Street, city centre

Wilkinson also played a small role in the disposal of another bike, and was found in possession in a small quantity of cannabis.

He pleaded guilty to theft, handling stolen goods and possession of a Class B controlled drug.

Ian Phillip, for Wilkinson, made clear that the bike - which he said was fitted with a tracker - belonged to Humberside Police, not PC Moxon.

He said: "Since the offending, Mr Wilkinson has tried to disassociate himself from the sort of people who were stealing bicycles. He is now concentrating on his relationship with his partner. He also has a son who he has contact with."

Mr Phillip said Wilkinson has previously been prescribed medication for depression and anxiety and admits he "needs to change" for his family's sake.

HUKW20170323G-003_N.jpg
'NEEDS TO CHANGE': Liam Wilkinson has now 'disassociated' himself from bike thieves

Chairman of the bench, Neil Anthony, said suggestions the theft of the police bicycle was a "victimless crime" were wrong.

"We are all victims because our money pays for the police," he said.

Mr Anthony asked Wilkinson how he wants his young son to see him. He said: "My son is my world. My partner is as well. I want to change."

Wilkinson was given an 18-month conditional discharge. He was also ordered to pay compensation of £185 and a £20 victim surcharge.

As he left the courtroom, Mr Anthony told him: "You have been a bit lucky today."

Wilkinson said: "I have a young son and I need to change. I have so much to lose."

tyred

Legendary Member
Electric assist round here, if they can find anyone to actually use them.

First seen in Dublin, as a seperate unit, a few years ago.
View attachment 343578

I was talking to cycling Guard when I was a volunteer marshal for the local marathon last summer.

The tests they need to pass before being given a bike are actually very strict and involve all sorts of weird demonstrations of cycling skills including being able to ride down stairs/steps and the bikes issued are sturdy mountain bike type rather than road bikes as they are to be used in all terrain.

classic33

Leg End Member
I was talking to cycling Guard when I was a volunteer marshal for the local marathon last summer.

The tests they need to pass before being given a bike are actually very strict and involve all sorts of weird demonstrations of cycling skills including being able to ride down stairs/steps and the bikes issued are sturdy mountain bike type rather than road bikes as they are to be used in all terrain.
Talked to a few, who'd accept nowt from anyone, they find it a good way of getting around Dublin.

mustang1

Guru
Because the evidence is that in many urban areas bikes are the quickest way of getting round - even faster than scooters or motorbikes - and can access areas that scooters/motorbikes can't?

It's not that i don't believe you, it's just that i don't believe the evidence. I wouldnt believe it even if i was shown the stats.

Edit typo

Randombiker9

yeah, i know it's a year old this thread. i've never seen motorbike police or police on bikes. Sometimes the PCSO's are on bicycles. But most police seem to use cars here.

Top Bottom