Police officers on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I've seen them on Gary Fisher bikes round here(Leeds).
I know that to get into the Police you have to be quite fit because you have to do that bleep test at a hard level. It appears though that once your in you can let yourself really go. What it should be is that the Police are retested for fitness every 3 years or so and if they cant manage the level then they have 6 months to improve otherwize thats it.
Its silly because a lot of them wouldnt be able to run after someone, when its part of your job you should'nt be allowed to get really fat.
Level 5 is hardly a hard level.

Annual fitness tests were introduced a few years ago. Any officers who can't pass it are put on an action plan to improve. In theory they can eventually be dismissed if they fail to meet the requirements.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm too heavily built to make an ideal runner, but even I managed beyond 12 in my younger days.

Its not a measure of fitness, but a measure of how long you can tolerate the pain in your knees an ankles from constantly braking to a halt and turning. In all my years I never had to chase a villain back and forward across a sports hall while wearing shorts and trainers. If I had then ding dong, I'd have been deadly.

spen666

Legendary Member
As Dave says above. That's not the reason they have them

I could give my local POPO the slip in my lowered, gold wheeled scooby if they were in one of their 1.2 Hyundai's...innit.

Ps I don't actually have a goldwheeled Scooby but you get my point

I suspect its more about response, coverage and distance (same thing really) and has very little to do with re-enacting scenes from the sweeny.

Also...what's decent?...its so subjective

You took my advice and swapped the gold ones for the lower profile black alloys I suggested then?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
When looking at my fleet of Giant bikes, my Dad remarked that the police bikes he used to ride were made by Giant, and were very good. That would have been between 1968-1978 though.

snorri

Legendary Member
I wonder why police forces don't invest more money in decent bikes for their officers using two wheels.
Snorri with his grumpy taxpayers hat on >.> ...mumble:sad: mumble:sad: do these police officers really need these expensive carbon jobbies for bumping around town, can't they call up assistance on their radios? little wonder my council tax is through the roof......moan:sad: moan:sad:

classic33

Leg End Member
Electric assist round here, if they can find anyone to actually use them.

First seen in Dublin, as a seperate unit, a few years ago.
Garda Mountain Bikes.jpg

Tim Hall

I doubt that the reason they were on bikes was so that they could chase and catch errant cyclists.
No, but they might want to chase people on foot
While trying to find out which bikes Surrey Police use, I stumbled across their cycle patrol risk management policy which says:
HSWA also places a duty on Police Officers and Staff members to comply with health and safety arrangements, and to take reasonable care of themselves and others who may be affected by their working activities. As such, police officers and staff must:

comply with the risk assessment at all times
not engage in pursuits

mustang1

Guru
Idk why they even use bikes. Surely motorbikes and scooters is what they need.

In fact, what happened to the motorbike cops?

Ps: who's gonna watch CHiPs?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Snorri with his grumpy taxpayers hat on >.> ...mumble:sad: mumble:sad: do these police officers really need these expensive carbon jobbies for bumping around town, can't they call up assistance on their radios? little wonder my council tax is through the roof......moan:sad: moan:sad:
Carbon jobbie is not good anyway for patrolling the riverside, the canal, the parks.

As Dave says above. That's not the reason they have them

I could give my local POPO the slip in my lowered, gold wheeled scooby if they were in one of their 1.2 Hyundai's...innit.

Ps I don't actually have a goldwheeled Scooby but you get my point

I suspect its more about response, coverage and distance (same thing really) and has very little to do with re-enacting scenes from the sweeny.

Also...what's decent?...its so subjective

I was going to ask how fast your gold coloured car was

What speed does your Scooby Doo?

There are no motorcycle cops any more as there is now virtually no RPU's left due to cuts, the same also applies to cycles as my force cant afford the cycling kit let alone the bike.
As an example my city used to be split into 3 operation units, each of which had a 24hr front counter with cell blocks. Each of these then had the ability to paraded 2 traffic cars or if required motorbikes and also a dog unit.
So thats about 60-70 coppers pluse 3-6 traffic units and perhaps 2 dogs.
Fast forward to last week, no dog no local traffic units at all as they simply dont exist and we paraded 11 coppers for a city of 350000 with only 1 station left and no 24hr front counter. Welcome to the future, my advice is to buy a shotgun, a shovel and don't move house!

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
There are no motorcycle cops any more as there is now virtually no RPU's left due to cuts, the same also applies to cycles as my force cant afford the cycling kit let alone the bike.
As an example my city used to be split into 3 operation units, each of which had a 24hr front counter with cell blocks. Each of these then had the ability to paraded 2 traffic cars or if required motorbikes and also a dog unit.
So thats about 60-70 coppers pluse 3-6 traffic units and perhaps 2 dogs.
Fast forward to last week, no dog no local traffic units at all as they simply dont exist and we paraded 11 coppers for a city of 350000 with only 1 station left and no 24hr front counter. Welcome to the future, my advice is to buy a shotgun, a shovel and don't move house!
Shotguns make a racket, you'll have enviromental health on to you!

Top Bottom