Police trap bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Are these a thing? There's been a bike chained up on a street near me for at least a month in an easy-to-see location with a useless looking lock. With the state of bike crime near me, I can't for the life of me understand why no one has nicked it or claimed it. It made me wonder if the police put it there and are keeping it under surveillance in an effort to catch bike thieves.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I don't know

I quite liked that Sky programme a few years back (SWAG I think it was called) where they would leave a bike unattended, that would fall apart when someone tried to ride it.

It probably got cancelled for H & S reasons.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
You're a lucky man if your local police have the resources to do a month of covert obs to mount a sting operation to catch a 14 year old nicking a bike. I'd doubt it's a trap... More likely it's abandoned and the local thieves think it's a trap.
Shame they didn't think my old bike was a trap when they nicked it. Maybe I should write South wales police bike crime division or something on my frame.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I don't know

I quite liked that Sky programme a few years back (SWAG I think it was called) where they would leave a bike unattended, that would fall apart when someone tried to ride it.

My old bike that got nicked probably did fall apart when someone rode it. I take pleasure in the fact that whoever stole it probably got thrown off by the bike's idiosyncrasies.

Bodhbh

Guru

At work so can't really google the links, but there's a fair few youtube prankster vids of boobytrapped bikes. Some of them are amusing - the bike's lent up against a tree in the park and attached via a hidden rope - some of them are outright dangerous (electrified saddle, no brakes, exploding saddle, etc).

classic33

Leg End Member
At work so can't really google the links, but there's a fair few youtube prankster vids of boobytrapped bikes. Some of them are amusing - the bike's lent up against a tree in the park and attached via a hidden rope - some of them are outright dangerous (electrified saddle, no brakes, exploding saddle, etc).
Left in "Neutral", but set for the highest possible. The gears "crashed", he came down on the top tube.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You're a lucky man if your local police have the resources to do a month of covert obs to mount a sting operation to catch a 14 year old nicking a bike. I'd doubt it's a trap... More likely it's abandoned and the local thieves think it's a trap.
Do they really do covert obs or just point a camera at it and stick a tracker on it, then recover it when they've got time?

Drago

Legendary Member
Are these a thing? There's been a bike chained up on a street near me for at least a month in an easy-to-see location with a useless looking lock. With the state of bike crime near me, I can't for the life of me understand why no one has nicked it or claimed it. It made me wonder if the police put it there and are keeping it under surveillance in an effort to catch bike thieves.

Yes, they are a thing.

Top Bottom