Policeman pulls cyclist over with flashing blue lights and tells him give a bit more space

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
To think I'd email the forces PSD to report the officers obvious lack of training.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
It would be a good idea for driver training and the driving test to include some theory and practical content to raise awareness of cyclists and the fact that they have just as much right to be on the road as any motorist, pedestrian, or stray cat or dog, and how mutual consideration and understanding between road users would help improve safety.

There is some inclusion of such in CPC training for HGV drivers nowadays (personally I find them amongst the most considerate drivers on the road, if a car is a potential lethal weapon, a lorry is a potential ballistic missile in comparison, and most HGV drivers seem to take their responsibilities very seriously in my experience), but why not car drivers, taxi drivers, police drivers, etc?

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
but why not car drivers, taxi drivers, police drivers, etc?
Because it isn't taught sufficiently in driving lessons and there are almost no police on the roads to educate drivers. I am quite certain that the vast majority of my close passes aren't malicious but drivers who genuinely don't think they are doing anything wrong, don't understand cyclist road positioning or have such poor observation they don't see you until the last minute or misjudge the gap between you and oncoming traffic.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4760495, member: 9609"]When the police car is overtaking the cyclist the other side of the road is marked as "keep Clear" does anyone know what the purpose of this is for ? may be a school ? I'm just wondering if it was a wsie place to be overtaking.
Anyone got a streetview of the road?[/QUOTE]
Michael Faraday Primary School - http://www.instantstreetview.com/@51.484927,-0.088966,43.16h,-3.7p,0.85z

[QUOTE 4761514, member: 9609"]absolutely - but in some circumstances I see nothing wrong in saying, 'excuse me could you let me past I need to get on' in any other situation no offence would be taken. All I'm saying is, even if a blast on the horn is rude and bad mannered, no one gets hurt, but just barging past a cyclist in a car or a truck is always completely unacceptable.[/QUOTE]
Need to get past. There is no need. The cyclist would have put himself in danger to do so. The driver would have broken the (speeding) law to do so. The driver was being delayed by up to a whole 40 seconds. There was absolutely no need at all other than yet another important driver wanting to barge through as they feel their 40s is more important than the person in front of them. No different than a quick beep of the horn to the slow person in the checkout queue in front of me as I am in a rush and I need to get past.

Tin Pot

Guru
Two minutes on the roads of Provence before a guy drove straight at me while overtaking coming the other way, then numerous horns and wild gesticulations at bike paths I wasn't using.

Here in Spain I'm on winding mountain roads where overtaking is prohibited most of the time, no bike lanes, and yet no trouble from cars or HGVs, not even a single close pass.

Go figure.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Two minutes on the roads of Provence before a guy drove straight at me while overtaking coming the other way, then numerous horns and wild gesticulations at bike paths I wasn't using.
The 'good attitude of French drivers to cyclists' is a bit of a myth the further south you go - I had exactly the same manoeuvre pulled on me last September a bit further north on the D93 - driver (French) showed me the finger when I suggested he shouldn't be driving at me at 60mph leaving me just a metre or so not to die. Though most of the idiocy is not through malice, just French normal (southern) French driving practice.

Top Bottom