Policemen on bicycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sittingbull

Veteran
[QUOTE 1970906, member: 9609"]I was in Liverpool ........... two policemen cycled by.[/quote]
I don't doubt it at all but I can't personally remember ever seeing a policeman on a bicycle.

Around 5 years ago I used to see PCSO's on bicycles. I'd rather see the police on bikes than in cars (although obviously not if there's an intruder in the house and you've just dialled 999).

I see more on horse-back than on bikes.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I always see a few about in my neck of the woods. When I'm out with the kids in the trailer on the back, they always say hello to the boys. However, I did catch them on an uphill drag the other day, me with the trailer plus kids, and scalped them well and truly. Gave them a bit of a ribbing at the top (in a friendly fashion). I doubt all their kit weight as much as my terrible two.

Me 1
Local Cops 0

Dan B

Disengaged member
I often see pcso's on bikes, two abreast if there's two of them, often riding the wrong way down a one-way street or jumping red lights, so i take it it must be OK to ride the wrong way down a one-way street or jump a red light then;)
By that logic it would be OK to be a PCSO,though

sittingbull

Veteran
[QUOTE 1971403, member: 9609"]It wasn't far from the Liver Buildings..... the kids... kept referring to them as bizzies on bikes - it really was quite funny especially in the broad scouse accent.
We were well chuffed the car still had it's four wheels still on when we got back to it.[/quote]
I know that area well, I cycle there most days, it's probably well patrolled because of the mass of tourists in the area. "Bizzies" (or plod) are fairly common terms.

It's a long long time since I've seen a car on bricks :blush:

The area is thriving with bars, marinas, museums, concerts, conventions and MASSIVE cruise liners:
QE.jpg

I saw one tonight cycling up St Johns Road in Peterborough, perhaps it was Vike. The only others I've seen here have been PCSOs I think they use their own bikes.

Edit: I see lots of them in cars; the other night a car went passed me into a dead end, not going particularly fast, then 4 police cars shot after him sirens blazing, etc The bloke then calmly got out of his car; it all seemed OTT to me :wacko:

Octet

Veteran
*Mute Police Skitchin Video Posted by Reiver*
*Play England Swings Video Posted by Accy Cyclist*
*Watch Police Skitchin Video*

Enjoy :tongue:

Drago

Legendary Member
There's plenty out there, although not in all areas. It's my job to train them, although not all Farces take their lawful responsibility re training very seriously.

Cubist

Still wavin'
There's plenty out there, although not in all areas. It's my job to train them, although not all Farces take their lawful responsibility re training very seriously.
If you find it so hard to hide your contempt of the police by deliberately misspelling the word Force perhaps you could be accused of cynically milking the cash cow of public funding?

There is no "lawful responsibility" to train to anything other than rudimentary level of competence. Level two Bikeability is enough to satisfy the majority of local H & S risk assessments.

Drago

Legendary Member
Er, forgive me.

A bicycle in the workplace is a piece of machinery with the potential to cause injury. Under H&S laws an employer has a lawful duty to ensure that their staff and contractors are trained in the safe use if that machinery, as the Royal Mail found out to the tune of £600,000 a few years back. Full stop. Period. No excuses. No exceptions.

Fail to provide that training the employer can be fined. Someone dies and people can be, and have been, imprisoned. It is work equipment, and that brings obligations.

Bike ability is totally inadequate for police cycling where you may be riding off road, searching for misers, perhaps even having to use the bike as a defensive weapon. There are techniques for crowd control using cycles, and even for mounted firearms officers, though there isn't a demand for the latter in the UK. The training must cover every intended or likely use of that item of dangerous machinery.
Indeed, as a professional my personal view is that Bikeability is not sufficient training as it largely omits the required pre ride safety checks, and gives zero instruction on who is authorised to repair them etc.

Indeed, as work machinery there must be a maintenance regime, with everything properly documented, all work carried out by professionals with a qualification recognised by the HSE.

If youre an employer who requires staff to ride bicycles and you think the syllabus in Bikeability is suitable to meet all the lawful requirements of the HSE then you'll sooner or later get a serious reality check.

And I am a copper, and most coppers refer to them as "farces". It's a very common vernacular in both the Farces I've worked on, and both the Farces my wife worked in. Been serving the Queen, first in the Army, then in the Dibble, for just coming up on 27 years and plan to do so for a whole yet I guess.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ps, apologies for chubby fingered iPhone typos.

Interestingly, a West Mids Specialized patrol cycle just been on the news at a murder scene in Brum. West Mids (or the Yam Yams as they're known by bobbies from other Farces) provide probably the most thorough cycle training in the country. They do it all in house. It's all MIAS approved but is well above and beyond the minimum, quite gruelling. GMP and City of London (who's bobbies call non CoL and Met Bobbies 'carrots') and the other two serious players in training. Most of the other do a little in house, or hire it in from their neighbours, which is where me and my 2 colleagues come in. I'm told that we bring a bit of NET income to our home farce, which can't be bad - getting paid to do what I love, and bringing in a few pennies too.

kedab

Veteran
Don't see police, but do see the occasional pcso in our area.
the only pcso's 'round are way' (extra points for naming the band), are to be seen in fiesta's. most of them couldn't catch a cold given the majority are rather plump. fair play to them for getting out there and doing something but surely there should be some sort of fitness requirement:huh:

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair, I'm 6'3", a 242lb amateur power filter with a 53" chest who cycles about 300 miles a week with a resting pulse of 50. I'm in good shape. Nevertheless, wearing a further 2 stones of stab vest, PR24, custodian lid, airwaves, boots etc there is no way in hell I'll catch a 16 year old in trackie and trainers. Just ain't gonna happen. I dunno what, if any, fitness requirements there may be for PCSOS. The National Fitness Test for bobbies looks likely to become an annual event for all coppers from next year. Not a problem, it's a cakewalk, but it's totally irrelevant. Running between 2 cones to an increasingly fast beat while wearing trainers and shorts bears zero relevance to any policing activity I've come across (my best is 12.9 if there are any bobbies out there, but now I just stop 1 beep past minimum - they don't pay me any more for showing off!)

Quite a few bobbies are keen triathletes, but quite a few are keen on pies! Unfortunately, or fortunately perhaps, I can not get in a Fiesta and can barely get in a Astra wearing all the kit.

Speaking of fitness, a basic health check and fitness declaration is something required to operate our particular machinery in the workplace, something else Bikeability fails to mention.

Top Bottom