Policemen on bicycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Actually, I pointed out that PCSOs are now part funded by our Force, and have been for over a year.

Elitist? Some areas on our on force have a single car between 4 different Rita's of neighbourhood officers, PC and PCSOs. Would these officers be better serving the public sat in the nick? Fortunately, the cycles are a relatively cheap resource at £510 per bike. Compare that to £9000 for the cheapest approved spec tax free Corsa, which some of our taller and larger officers can't fit in anyway, which pints that up to £16k for a turnkey Astra. Far from being elitist it's actually the only means available to a lot of officers to get anywhere.

There is not a single minute of the basic patrol course syllabus that does not cover some aspect of the safe and effective operation of a bicycle in a policing environment. Serious incidents have occurred - a broken neck in our own area which prompted our management to suddenly wake up when a RIDDOR incident was declared by the HSE and senior officers we very nearly prosecuted.

West Mids not long ago had a female officer suffer serious spinal injuries. They run an extremely good course and still this happened. Mind you, numerically its the countries 2nd force so it's a numbers game, but there bottoms are covered and there will be no big fines, non prosecutions.

GMP had a PCSO killed.

A postmen, on a new bike and well kitted, broke his shoulder. It was determined in court that the Royal Mails training had been insufficient and postie walked away with £600k damages.

It is inevitable that sooner or later one of your staff will revive a serious injury, or (and I hope it never happens) is killed. Not only is it more likely to happen with poor kit and training, but whoever was responsible for sending them out without adequate training in this work machinery could end up in the chokey over it.

Protecting officers and protecting the organisation is both responsible behaviour and required by the law. If you want elitism wantee across to your traffic division where the clothing and helmet alone for a singke officer costs enough to buy 3 bicycles. £25 for a Specialized or Bell marked cycke helmet is elitism? Try £350 for an Arai police motorbike helmet. Now that's elitism.

Far from being elitism it's lawful, it's common sense, it's a moral duty of any caring employer, and it's increasingly helping to keep non-response (and even response officers in heavily urbanised areas - we teach thoses skills too on another course) mobile at a time when shrinking budgets and increasing costs-per-unit are making cars a luxury.

You can call it elitist, stupid, ridiculous, any name you want - we live in increasingly litigious times and it ain't going away no matter what name calling you feel like playing. Get over it.

rebelpeter

They gave up their cycles for BMWs and flashy expensive Saburas at our expense to stop someone with no insurance then say " nothing to worry about" as you see in the tv police shows . . .

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'm sure you can continue to justify your existence, and good luck to you. As I suggested above, to talk of Crowd Control Techniques, and armed response techniques on bicycles is seriously overblown where the force policy for using bicycles is simply for transporting PCSOs. Where the policy precludes the use of bikes for pursuits and "arrest techniques," training officers to use them would be a waste of money. I am pretty sure that you are a committed and consumate professional, but I believe the people who are keenest to point out how badly we need MIAS L4 Emergency Services MTB Patrol Skills Instructors are MIAS L4 Emergency Services MTB Patrol Skills Instructors. To claim that you and your course are the only way of ensuring a PCSO is trained and equipped to cycle from one village to another on a professionally maintained piece of dangerous works machinery is as I have said, overblown.

Drago

Legendary Member
Go away and read the Health and Safety Act 1974.

Then go and read the really important stuff, the Provision and Use of Work Equipnent Regukations (P.U.W.E.R.) and you won't wont find the word "Elitist" any where in there. Yep, you won't find M.I.A.S. either. You will find lots of stuff called "law" which tells you what an employer MUST do. Unfortunately, there is no clause that gets you out of doing it because you think it's overblown.

It's the law. Something an employer has to do on pain of fine or prosecution. PUWER doesn't care what you think. Get over it.

Nowhere have i said the syllabus we teach is the only way. I have asked some relevant questions - such as what cycle specific UDT training your PCSOs have been taught. You force teach then basic UDT, why then do you let them rude a machine that puts them at tactical and positional disadvantage and think its ok to let them get on with it?

In afraid that it won't go away because of you opinion. Get over it.

Octet

Veteran
This thread seems to have just turned into a massive rant between two people, rather counterproductive if you ask me... :sad:

blade1889

Fishing In The Rivers Of Life
I saw one on a bike yesterday.

thumbnail.aspx

Top Bottom