Poll - how often do you service your bike?

What's your full service frequency?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ushills

Veteran
Chain wiped with baby wipes if raining or muddy, bike rinsed also, full wash weekly.

Other stuff when it needs it, recently done rear wheel bearings as a bit noisy or gears when they go out a bit.

I sort out problems as they occur. So I very rarely do a 'service'.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
chain mickled once a week. 'M' check every time I ride. Other stuff attended too as it comes up. No set schedule and I try to avoid the bike going into the LBS's if at all possible.

That's what I thought "only when it stops working" meant - doh!

My favourite answer to the question; 'When should I oil my chain?' is; 'Just before it starts squeaking'.

The OP's question is a very interesting one and the answer lies somewhere between riding your bike into the ground and only fixing things when they fail, and replacing all the components on the bike every two weeks.

With chains, sprockets and rings, cables, rims and blocks it's pretty easy to know when to replace them, since their wear rates are predictable and easy to monitor, but bearings? Without opening them it's hard to see how they are getting on. And you'd better know how to put them back or you can create more trouble than you fix. It's why grease ports are such a great idea. If you're an obsessive furtler like me your bikes wont get much of a chance to seize up, but one of the essential tasks is fixture maintenance - nuts and bolts, skewers and seatposts need to be checked for corrosion and greased up every time you move them, or at the very least, annually. Which is why stainless steel is such a good idea for nuts and bolts.

As for the rest of the bike, if it aint broke...

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Like others on here I don't have a set service schedule but constantly fettle and tinker to keep them running nicely. So, the bearings don't feel as smooth as I'd like = strip, clean, lubricate.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
My last new thread triggered a rare train of thought in my otherwise vacuous head - - - how often do others service their bikes.

When I say service, I mean a walk, chain de-grease, regrease/oil drive-train, even clean and re-grease hubs and bearing where not sealed.
This is as well as readjust cables and tune up the indexing etc?
Yes ...... but what do you mean? :scratch:

sdr gb

Falling apart
My LBS which I bought my new bike from offers free servicing for life on all bikes bought from them. You have to take it in every 6 months for them to check it over an they will re-lube parts, true wheels, index gears, etc for free. All you need to pay for is any parts that need replacing.

My older bike gets serviced by me when I feel something needs doing. I don't have a set schedule.

Speedywheelsjeans

Every week I clean the drive train and re grease it, tighten cables and check for wear. If anything is squeaking I'll apply some grease and or check torque settings on bolts, if creaking/squeaking remains I will pull it apart and find the cause. I check my tyres for foreign bodies and check the wheels are true. I rotate all bearing parts and feel for bearing tight spots, if all is okay I clean it with a wet cloth and polish it up with a dry one.

Davidc

Guru
Mickle the chains once every few weeks or after any filthy ride.

Never service the bikes, but do check chain wear, hub bearings, headset, bb etc. about once a month and take action only if it's needed.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am like everyone else. I meddle very little with it day to day and that seems to keep it right.

That is obviously working on the well known addage "If it aint broke, dont fix it".

Steve

RaRa

I'm ashamed to admit I don't know how to service my bike, I can degrease and oil the chain and thats about it. I do polish the frame with baby wipes if that counts ^_^

Top Bottom