Polycarbonate sheet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fanarrfnarr

A strange one.

The rear window in the Smart car of sexiness is damaged. It's a convertible, and the rigidish plastic window has succumbed to UV, cracked over time, and finally started to split.

Not to worry. I'm pretty handy so will replace it myself. However, it's a 15 year old car and while its otherwise virtually mint (it's only 42k miles), I can't justify spending big moolah to replace the window, especially as I may upgrade to a newer Smart next year.

So, I reckon I can remove the old window neatly and bond a new one on the inside with Sikaflex, the glue of the gods. However, the window is curved ever so slightly along it's 900mm length, so a dead flat panel won't do. I'm thinking of polycarbonate as it's tough and safer for vehicular use than the alternatives.

So, do any of you fine folk know if 3mm polycarbonate will flex slightly (just 5mm from true would do it) along a 900mm length?

Thanks in advance,

Bern.

Any 3mm polycarb will flex 5mm over that distance. Also, it isn't brittle, it's actually a fairly soft plastic. I'd suggest you get one that is a UV grade.

The top 3 brands are Lexan, makrolon and palram.

Be careful when bonding with sikaflex. As youre putting a curve into the material it will naturally want to straighten. This will put increased load into the bond.

If at all possible, use a mechanical fixing such as nut and bolt.

Finally, let's debunk a polycarb myth. Lexan is a brand if polycarbonate, not a type of polycarbonate.

In the name of full disclosure, I've been working with polycarbonate and other sheet plastics for over 20 years.

*Edit*
Don't try and heat form it unless it's been dried. Polycarbonate is hydroscopic and if over heated will bubble and blister.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Thats wonderfully informative. Thank you ever so much! As it happens, I also have a plan for belt and braces mechanical fixings as well - watch this space ;)

mere cars
Is this a merecar?

050314_A.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Ok, I've done the deed. A bead of Sikaflex, and some black pop rivets.

The rivets I had in my Box O'Crap, the Sikaflex a mate of mine who works for a defence contractor gets me for free (they use it for spall liners in tanks and APCs and when it's out of official use by date the bin it, but its perfectly useable so he nabs me some), and polycarbonate sheet at £11.

When it's all dry I'll wipe off the fingerprints and snap you all a pic.

Top Bottom