Poor driving from someone who should have known better.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
DFT guidelines which say if you are travelling at over 18mph you should be on the road.
“Guidelines” that means absolutely nothing in reality. And without looking for an indicated speed, how would you know? You couldn’t for sure, which just adds to the fact it’s total nonsense.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm not sure any alterations are necessary. The OP crossed a giveway and attempted to cycle in front of an oncoming vehicle. My understanding of giveway is that it means cross only if your path is clear, which it very obviously wasn't.
Yeah that’s right, I was going to cycle “in front of the van” of course I was:laugh:. I was never going to risk going straight over expecting the van driver to obey the clear give way sign, hardly any drivers ever do there, I know this:rolleyes:.
@I like Skol Please give due credit to the OP's intelligence and sense of self-preservation. @rr is a cyclist of both experience and considerable knowledge.
Remember: guidelines are just that: for the the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Anyway, let’s not forget that the only bit I give a tinker’s about, and the point of the thread is couple of seconds which show the hooky infrastructure, and the potential issues.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Anyway, let’s not forget that the only bit I give a tinker’s about, and the point of the thread is couple of seconds which show the hooky infrastructure, and the potential issues.
You titled it "Poor driving from someone who should know better" and stated clearly in the OP and throughout the thread that you had right of way (when you didn't)

The thread was never about infrastructure in any sense other than your blatant misunderstanding of it.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
For the bigger picture... https://assets.publishing.service.g...9150/ltn-2-08_Cycle_infrastructure_design.pdf

and for detail see the diagram below:
[replace the 'up' traffic lane with a dedicated contra-flow cycle lane to replicate the cycle/path crossing point RR encountered. Note the extended green surfacing, corduroy paving and the flat topped road bump suggested- which in the absence of street lighting could be replaced with elephant feet white lining for improved visibility]

Jody

Stubborn git
.......the point of the thread is couple of seconds which show the hooky infrastructure, and the potential issues.

Your thread title would disagree :whistle:

@classic33 - I've never heard before that there is a speed above which cyclists are expected to be on the road rather than follow a dedicated or shared route.

I rarely use cycle paths/routes but would be interested to have this bit of info.

Thanks
There was something in the Highway Code back when shared farcilities (converted footways) started to become popular but that was quietly withdrawn :wacko:

newts

Veteran
Simple fact is, I am right. The design was intended as I explained, drivers continually get it wrong, that bit of infrastructure is getting a real reputation round here. I’m just glad I got an example of what’s wrong on camera, without getting killed.
The only exmaple shown in the video is a cyclist messing up & needlessly shouting at another road user who did nothing wrong:becool:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
For the bigger picture... https://assets.publishing.service.g...9150/ltn-2-08_Cycle_infrastructure_design.pdf

and for detail see the diagram below:
[replace the 'up' traffic lane with a dedicated contra-flow cycle lane to replicate the cycle/path crossing point RR encountered. Note the extended green surfacing, corduroy paving and the flat topped road bump suggested- which in the absence of street lighting could be replaced with elephant feet white lining for improved visibility]

View attachment 525385
How does that crossing work for pedestrians? Is it like a zebra? ...or something else??

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Yes, it's a combined cycle/footpath, so people wishing to cross have right of way over those using the road, hence the partially sighted bubble paving for pedestrians and the give way road markings for the vehicular and contra flow cycle lanes, but the triangular 'Give Way' signs are missing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom