Poor driving from someone who should have known better.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
The green crossing strip connects the two sides of the shared cycle/pedestrian pavement on either side of the road where there is a shared drop-kerb. The road users approaching the green cycle/pedestrian crossing from either side have to give way to anyone using the green crossing point, ie the van driver has a give way dotted line and you, on the road approaching the green crossing point, have a give way dotted line. Both you and the van driver have to give way [ie stop] if there is a pedestrian or a cycle on the pavement crossing point.

What the green crossing point does NOT do is give a cyclist, on the road marked cycle lane, the right to turn right from the road onto the green crossing. That is the equivalent of approaching a zebra crossing or a pelican crossing and then turning right off the road in front of traffic onto the opposite pavement and expecting any traffic coming from the opposite direction to stop for you because you are then on the crossing..

The only direction a cyclist using the road cycle lane should follow is the indicated cycle lane straight on over the green crossing, stopping to give way if anyone is using the crossing. It does NOT give anyone using the road the right to turn right off the road cycle lane at that point, as shown on the still where you can clearly see the straight on arrow marked on the road marked cycle lane - if the road cycle lane users had the right to turn right in front of approaching traffic at the green crossing point there would be an arrow also pointing to the right on the marked straight-ahead arrow.

However, if there is nothing coming and no-one is adversely affected then who would be bothered if you do turn right there?
Just don't blame the van driver for not stopping or giving way to you in this instance.
View attachment 525299

That's an excellent analysis.

upandover

Guru
There isn’t anything written in stone, just flakey ‘guidance’ which really means nothing.

From the highway code.
"If you are sharing a path, take extra care and give plenty of room to children, the elderly and disabled people. You should always be riding at a speed that would allow you to slow down and stop if necessary."

However vague. I absolutely wouldn't be confident of stopping at those speedd if someone sidestepped or fell.

I cycle on shared paths daily, (in normal times), and wouldn't dream of this speed unless it was absolutely empty. It concerns me

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
From the highway code.
"If you are sharing a path, take extra care and give plenty of room to children, the elderly and disabled people. You should always be riding at a speed that would allow you to slow down and stop if necessary."

However vague. I absolutely wouldn't be confident of stopping at those speedd if someone sidestepped or fell.

I cycle on shared paths daily, (in normal times), and wouldn't dream of this speed unless it was absolutely empty. It concerns me

I suspect the brakes on his new bike weren’t working.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
From the highway code.

Don’t worry poppet, I can stop perfectly well. I have brakes, they’re very good.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Well, that's patronising, angry and arrogant.

As I said, I couldn't stop safely at that speed if someone sidestepped right in front of me. I suppose we might say you could because you're a better cyclist, but then we've all seen the video...
I do think that as the op has discussed upthread the difficulty he has in keeping the bike under proper control, it's a valid concern. It might be an idea either to take the bike somewhere quiet in order to practise basic bike handling skills, or even perhaps join in some organised rides where he can ask the ride leader to talk him through some simple manoeuvres, observation and roadcraft.

Failing that, maybe it would be an idea to look at the suitability of the bike itself. As mentioned, the deep section rims make it difficult to handle so there are probably better choices of bike for that type of riding. I would think that for pootling around town on the cycle paths, you don't need anything fancy, a cheap hybrid would be just the job.

D

Deleted member 26715

Any advice gratefully received.
Clearly that is what you are doing wrong

monkers

Veteran
Still waiting for soemthing to happen?

I thought the same, so I watched again.

It seems to me that the bus must have cut in pretty close to avoid the parked cars on the opposite side of the road that become visible just as the bus passes. I guess the camera doesn't manage to pick that up being rear-facing as it is.

Last edited:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I thought the same, so I watched again.

It seems to be that the bus must have cut in pretty close to avoid the parked cars on the opposite side of the road that become visible just as the bus passes. I guess the camera doesn't manage to pick that up being rear-facing as it is.
Yup, I could have touched the bus :eek:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There are give way on the cycle path as well.
Where? Not at the first crossing. Only the carriageway and cycle lane have them.

A blind man in a snow storm could see what the driver was going to do all the op had to do was slow down a bit. It would have been no issue at all.
I agree it should have been avoided (and it was) but it's not exactly "no issue at all". A driver blasting through a junction at a speed where s/he couldn't stop if someone was crossing their path (according to posts above) is careless driving, isn't it?

Top Bottom