Poor driving from someone who should have known better.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Where? Not at the first crossing. Only the carriageway and cycle lane have them.

I agree it should have been avoided (and it was) but it's not exactly "no issue at all". A driver blasting through a junction at a speed where s/he couldn't stop if someone was crossing their path (according to posts above) is careless driving, isn't it?
As was the OP/cyclist, who turned right out a marked contra flow lane then across a crossing that went through both lanes from pavement to pavement.

This done after the van had already gone over the road markings before the crossing, and before reaching the same markings in their lane.

Sustran, according to you*, have a 12mph design speed limit for shared footways. DFT guidance still says above 18mph and you should be on the road. Which is where the OP is in the video posted, in a seperate contra flow cycle lane, not the shared footway.

*You don't feel this is fast enough, but you do point this limit out.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As was the OP/cyclist, who turned right out a marked contra flow lane then across a crossing that went through both lanes from pavement to pavement.
I didn't comment on the OP there.

Sustran, according to you*, have a 12mph design speed limit for shared footways.
Design speed, not "design speed limit", plus 12mph is for a "local access route" (a feeder track from housing, typically) or "significant interaction with pedestrians" (a shopping street, basically). On "main routes, designers should aim to provide a higher design speed of 20mph." (Sustrans Design Manual, April 2014, p7).

DFT guidance still says above 18mph and you should be on the road.
Where? I never saw that get past a draft consultation.

classic33

Leg End Member
Last part July 2019.

You acknowledge there is a speed limit, but you don't agree with it. You want to be able to travel as fast as is possible between your points of travel, with as little regard as possible for others. That's an argument that is often used by drivers.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think that's still too fast to enter a crossing in a big van with thick A pillars that might obscure an cyclist approaching down the slope from the left slightly behind square.
as with a zebra crossing, only a fool would cross without either ensuring the road was clear or that right of passage had been granted to them by road users. Give way markings only require one to check, rather than stop, and if your estimate of 21mph is accurate, I think that's a reasonable speed.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Last part July 2019.

You acknowledge there is a speed limit, but you don't agree with it. You want to be able to travel as fast as is possible between your points of travel, with as little regard as possible for others. That's an argument that is often used by drivers.
I do not acknowledge there is a speed limit (feel free to cite where you think a limit applying to the route in the OP is set), nor do I have "little regard [...] for others". Making stuff up about me, Sustrans or the DfT is not the basis of a reasonable discussion, so please link to what was actually said if you'd like to discuss.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I think the OP just wanted to show how fast he can ride , he was puffing a bit though ^_^

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
as with a zebra crossing, only a fool would cross without either ensuring the road was clear or that right of passage had been granted to them by road users. Give way markings only require one to check, rather than stop, and if your estimate of 21mph is accurate, I think that's a reasonable speed.

I would doubt the estimate is accurate and will have a large degree of error. Not sure how @mjr came up with 0.4s as the time displayed is only showing it down to seconds not fractions there of.

Reactions: mjr

newts

Veteran
If the give-way marking on the road is the regulation 3.75m long and the video timekeeping (at quarter speed) is accurate, then the van driver seems to take 0.4s to travel 3.75m, so is doing about 21mph on arrival at the give-way line.
I think you've over estimated the speed of the van. Clicking through frame by frame from from 19 to 20 seconds, the front wheels are about 0.75m from the end of the painted triangle. At 20 seconds the rear wheels have just passed the triangle. Within this time frame the van has travelled it's wheelbase (mercedes sprinter) 3.1m + 2.0m (in reality only 1.0m but i've added a metre in so as not to underestimate)= 5.1m/s or 11.4mph

Attachments

• 2020-05-28 (1).png
    2020-05-28 (1).png
    329.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 2020-05-28 (2).png
    2020-05-28 (2).png
    305.3 KB · Views: 2

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I think you've over estimated the speed of the van. Clicking through frame by frame from from 19 to 20 seconds, the front wheels are about 0.75m from the end of the painted triangle. At 20 seconds the rear wheels have just passed the triangle. Within this time frame the van has travelled it's wheelbase (mercedes sprinter) 3.1m + 2.0m (in reality only 1.0m but i've added a metre in so as not to underestimate)= 5.1m/s or 11.4mph
Fantastic waste of time :okay: Well done :laugh:

Ajax Bay

Guru
And the van's driver was preparing to stop/give way just beyond the cycle-path crossing because its driver could see a cyclist approaching fast and indicating, helpfully and for the avoidance of doubt, his intention to bear right, following the road with precedence. In the event the cyclist kept left so the van driver, who had an excellent view, proceeded. My effort to estimate the van's speed came out lower than 20mph with a significant possible error. I reckon the cyclist and the van were approaching the junction at about the same speed (see video).

DRM

Guru
For what it's worth, and I'll probably get flamed for suggesting this, in order to cross that road (I:e in front of the van) I think it would be safer if it was traffic light controlled, as you press the button, light goes red for traffic on the road, cyclist/pedestrian crosses over, even to turn left, if the other road users are anything like on one cycle lane near me, motor vehicles inevitably have their near side wheel inside the cycle lane, so I would also be very wary turning left too.
I think sooner rather than later, someone will get killed on that shambles of a cycle lane.

Top Bottom