Poor driving from someone who should have known better.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I think you'll find the giveway signs at to give priority to crossing traffic. You were not crossing the road, you were assuming right of way to turn right to which you have none.
Wrong again. I had my arm out early. Jesus, I don’t get what’s so hard about it. Sooner or later someone’s going to get hurt / killed.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
The van driver was in the wrong but like you said the infrastructure there is poor and quite confusing, if I’d have been driving the van and wasn’t familiar with the area I’m sure I could have made the same mistake.

I’m not sure it’s worth a complaint against the van driver, I think I would be complaining to council/highways to sort the infrastructure out, it’s an accident waiting to happen for sure.
You’re right, I’m not going to kick off about it, I don’t think there was any malice, it’s not worth causing a stink. But my comments will be in a big pile of comments about that junction.

rualexander

Legendary Member
The van is almost at the give way lines before you even turn left onto the same road as he is on.
He had no way of knowing you were intending to turn across in front of him at that point.
At what point did you indicate for a right turn with your arm?
If you indicated your right turn after you joined the road he was on, he did not have time to stop before the give way lines.
If you indicated your right turn before you joined the road he was on, how would he have known your intention to cut across onto the cycle path?
Perhaps you should have moderated your speed a bit and everything would have worked out just fine.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I think it’s important footage that you should send to the council, I’ve never seen a junction, if that what you call it, quite like that, someone could get killed!
There have already been numerous near misses, and one old guy ending up in hospital after being clipped into the grass on the right, and it’s only been in place for a year or so. It really isn’t great.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
The van is almost at the give way lines before you even turn left onto the same road as he is on.
He had no way of knowing you were intending to turn across in front of him at that point.
At what point did you indicate for a right turn with your arm?
If you indicated your right turn after you joined the road he was on, he did not have time to stop before the give way lines.
If you indicated your right turn before you joined the road he was on, how would he have known your intention to cut across onto the cycle path?
Perhaps you should have moderated your speed a bit and everything would have worked out just fine.
He should have seen me with my arm out, and augmenting it by pointing, in plenty of time. I could tell by the engine note, that he hadn’t worked it out, hence why I got on the brakes, and pulled up. Sooner or later, that’s going to go badly wrong.

newts

Veteran
At this point you both have give way lines in front of you, the van is already alot closer to crossing said lines?
1590442045095.png

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Doesn't matter what the road markings say. If there's a big van coming towards you in the opposite lane and it's showing no signs of slowing down and stopping, it's generally accepted by most people that crossing or attempting to cross in front of it is well, stupid.
There's no upside to being in the right if you're dead.

Wrong again. I had my arm out early. Jesus, I don’t get what’s so hard about it. Sooner or later someone’s going to get hurt / killed.
Having your arm out has nothing to do with it, there's nothing in your video that shows that a cyclist on the road has priority to turn right in front of oncoming traffic. If the van had been another cyclist would you have priority to turn right in front of them? I'd be interested to see the sign that indicates to the driver of the van that cyclists on the road have have priority to turn right. The junction seems to have been designed to give folks on the hike/path priority over road traffic.

DRM

Guru
To me the van was on the lines before you got there, I personally would have slowed and crossed behind it, it's bad infrastructure but the fact you know it's a bad junction means six of one and half a dozen of the other from what I saw.

Seevio

Guru
The Southampton authorities may have intended to for it to be a priority right turn for cyclists but the road markings do not show that. Indeed as can be seen from streetview, all they have done is painted what may or may not be a crossing on top of an existing cycle lane. I doubt this meets regulations for road marking and should probably be reported.

rualexander

Legendary Member
There is less than two seconds between the point at which you turn left off the main road and enter the road the van is on and the point where the van crosses the giveway lines.
Now if you raised your arm to indicate at the point where you enter the road, there is no way that the van can possibly stop and give way considering that the average driver's reaction time is between 1 and 2 seconds.

Top Bottom