Popping a wheelie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The other day I did see a youth quite impressively ride out in front of my car on the dual carriageway, filter through two lanes of traffic, jump a red light and then hop onto the cycle path, all while doing a wheelie. I thought it was cool, especially as I know how much it must have pissed some people off. Doesn't really count in the context of this thread though, as it was a bloke.

Doesn't really count in the context of this thread though, as it was a bloke.
No, it's welcome. Respect for all notable mad skillz is on topic.

I'll admit to being so impressed by wheelies that I did some youtube research last year and tried to learn.
Nope, still not looking spunky.
+10 points for effort - both for trying a wheelie and for using spunky in a sentence.

(I want to tell you that you are a "total spunk", but I have been in the UK for too long. I'd just as soon say "everyone put on your thongs, we are going to the beach")

Alan O

Über Member
On one of my rides there's a wide tree-lined avenue - it's the approach to Speke Hall, so there's no through traffic. One time riding through, I encountered a group of youngsters, riding wheelies expertly and very impressively - and they seemed genuinely pleased to get a bit of applause from this old fart on a tourer.

As I was watching, it really brought back memories. In my day it would have been a group of us riding round on our racers with hands off and arms folded - different skill, different time, same kind of social thing.

There's definitely a big cycle culture among the youth of my area these days, and in recent years I've been seeing far more on bikes than I have for a long time - though, sadly, very few girls.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
It's called a 'manual' these days, and I can't pop one or a wheelie. The young lads in our group pop them really easy, but the old folks don't.

It's not a 'wheelie' any more though !!
Not quite. A 'manual' is rolling on the back wheel only without pedalling, whilst a wheelie still involves the pedalling element.
And I can't do either, tried wheelies last week and fell off.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not quite. A 'manual' is rolling on the back wheel only without pedalling, whilst a wheelie still involves the pedalling element.
And I can't do either, tried wheelies last week and fell off.
I cant do them either.

Top Bottom