Popping a wheelie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have never popped a wheelie (is that OK parlance in the UK?). I am not ashamed of this, I only had maybe 6 hours of cycling in my first 27 years, so basically learnt as an adult. I am a dab hand at steering and turning the pedals, but that's about it. Recently 3 kids passed me, all on their rear wheels and asked me to "do a wheelie". I had to demur. I had no idea how to, and sadly (having broken 3 bones - but only one cycling) I have no will to learn.

Anyway, a couple of days ago I saw a solo youf on the high street, riding on the back wheel for several hundred metres, with that easy cock-of-the-walk confidence of the young, But here's the thing: it was a (young) woman. I have seen excellent bike handling on YouTube etc, but I haven't ever seen in real life a woman display her mad skillz for no reason.

"How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,That has such people in ’t!"

(anyone that want to tell me they see women/girls doing this all the time, bring it on. I'd be glad to know it.)

Slick

Guru
No sorry, I haven't seen it before either. Kudos to her though.

Slick

Guru
Oh, I reckon the term, popping a wheelie would be considered a bit naff nowadays especially by the yoof.

It gets worse. Theres a spunky lane round here somewhere, apparently.
Derailing my own thread, but Rick Mayall (may he RIP) and Ben Elton came to oz some time after the Young Ones. I remember them sharing their experience of young Australian womanhood: "A woman came up to me and said 'spunk'. That's like me saying to you <turns and moves close to the camera> 'sperm'" That stayed with me.

(I am not sure where "spunk" is now in Australian culture. It was only a teenage thing, but widespread, when I last used it. Which means while Bieber may be a spunk, Clooney never was. "A spunk" meant good looking person. "Spunky" was the adjective. )

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I can't wheelie, but last year did a lot of trying and almost had it. Unfortunately I got knocked off my bike in Feb and haven't been able to ride since so suspect I might be back to square one by now but as soon as I am back to regular riding I will begin trying again as I feel if I can add that skill to my repertoire I will have the 'full house'. I can already ride none handed, trackstand, bunny hop and ride down steep flights of steps.

There is a couple of young girls on the next street to me that knock about on bikes and I regularly see one of them come down my street to call for a friend. I always watch in awe as she rolls past the front window stood on the cross bar. She's probably only about 11 or 12 but she's going to be trouble when she is older!!!

Jimidh

Veteran
I can’t do it any it any longer but I used to do it all time when I was a teenager.

My 14 year old son can wheelie down hills - think it’s a confidence ( stupidity thing)!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's called a 'manual' these days, and I can't pop one or a wheelie. The young lads in our group pop them really easy, but the old folks don't.

It's not a 'wheelie' any more though !!

Last edited:
Top Bottom