Possible New Project - Dawes Ultra Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I've just got in this evening to find on my doorstep a frame and fork of a Dawes Ultra Plus. My neighbour said yesterday that he might bring it round, and so he did.

Can't find much about them so far, only one picture has come up on a search. It's never been ridden, the story goes that when he used to work in a bike shop a customer wanted this bike in a smaller size, so they got in the frame, took all the bits off and they had this frame left over.

I can't really see what it's like in the dark so more photos tomorrow, but it's the same frame as the photo below.

Frame.png

F'ugly graphics.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just found this, so it's nothing special.

Ultra2.png

Drago

Legendary Member
Nice enough though. I'm a cro mo man through and though. Very similar mechanical properties to 531, but at a lesser price. Much maligned.

Yours looks late 80s? Biopace and unicrown forks. Could make a nice commuter.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Horizontal dropouts? Would make a good fixie. If it's a screw-on freewheel you only need a sprocket and a shorter BB :bicycle:

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Nice enough though. I'm a cro mo man through and though. Very similar mechanical properties to 531, but at a lesser price. Much maligned.

Yours looks late 80s? Biopace and unicrown forks. Could make a nice commuter.

I don't commute.
Horizontal dropouts? Would make a good fixie. If it's a screw-on freewheel you only need a sprocket and a shorter BB :bicycle:

Maybe a SS, not going to get me on a fixie.

Drago

Legendary Member
A type of slightly oval chainring. The green bike has it. I think the idea was to move the most chain at point when the legs could supply max effort, and less when they couldn't. Or something. About as popular as a Frenchman at a dinner part thrown by Donald Trump, so does off very quickly.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Right then, some photos of the actual frame. Its been sitting in a garage or a loft for about 30 years, its spots of rust and paint bubble, splashes of paint and really really ugly graphics, I've just given it a wipe over with a damp cloth and taken some snaps.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's a big frame, around 24 1/2" I'd say.
Difficult to know whether to strip and respray or just touch up the rust and use as is.
The internally routed rear brake cable is an interesting touch on a budget frame.
How do you think you'll proceed?

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
That's a big frame, around 24 1/2" I'd say.
Difficult to know whether to strip and respray or just touch up the rust and use as is.
The internally routed rear brake cable is an interesting touch on a budget frame.
How do you think you'll proceed?

Just measured the frame, from the centre of the BB to top of the seat tube its 25" so you're spot on. I don't know what to do with it to be honest, unlike the BSA I've just finished I'm not feeling the "muse" with this one. ^_^ It's an 'orrible colour and the graphics doth offend my eyes.:wacko:

Top Bottom