Possible New Project - Dawes Ultra Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I wonder how 500 differs from 501 as I have the latter and it is a really nice ride. My 501 frame is also a 24 1/2 inch and is a bit of a stretch.

What bike is it, a Dawes? I had to google Chrome Moly, I had no idea what it was other than its steel (I put a magnet on it). And I found this article about Unicrown Fork. Your learn something everyday with bikes.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wonder how 500 differs from 501 as I have the latter and it is a really nice ride. My 501 frame is also a 24 1/2 inch and is a bit of a stretch.

Isn't 501 butted and 500 isn't, but both are the same actual material? Something fairly minor I think. Edit - just checked, that's exactly right.

525 is their higher spec seamless cro mo, and 520 is the same but made in Tawain and dimensionally slightly different.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just measured the frame, from the centre of the BB to top of the seat tube its 25" so you're spot on. I don't know what to do with it to be honest, unlike the BSA I've just finished I'm not feeling the "muse" with this one. ^_^ It's an 'orrible colour and the graphics doth offend my eyes.:wacko:

If you have all the parts needed to get it back on the road then it will be another hopefully fun project , but being honest i doubt i would bother with it unless you need a winter bike

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If you have all the parts needed to get it back on the road then it will be another hopefully fun project , but being honest i doubt i would bother with it unless you need a winter bike

I don't have any parts, except possible a seat post and a saddle, but no saddle clamp!

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The deciding factor will be the frame size. I have a 25" Schwinn same era and I can just about manage it with a 34" inside leg.

About the same for me.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
There is your answer then unless you can find a donor bike cheap ie a small yellow Dave Quinn ;)

Not too far from me...but I have just thought of another cunning and devious plan. The lady who gave me the Tour de France had two other bikes in the garage she wanted shot of, I didn't pay much attention to them 'cos the TdF stole my heart, but she did say I could take them away, maybe they have the parts I need for this.

About the same for me.
Have you got any other bikes which you can borrow parts from. A bit like crop rotation!
I would have thought that it would take 700 wheels.
I have an inside leg of 32 but can ride my ,24 1/2 frame with the saddle right down. I find the reach to the bars a bit of a stretch but I could fit a shorter stem but want to keep it as original as possible.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Have you got any other bikes which you can borrow parts from. A bit like crop rotation!
I would have thought that it would take 700 wheels.
I have an inside leg of 32 but can ride my ,24 1/2 frame with the saddle right down. I find the reach to the bars a bit of a stretch but I could fit a shorter stem but want to keep it as original as possible.

No, nothing at all, my three main bike are modern, less than eight years old, then I have the Dawes Kingpin and the BSA.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Not too far from me...but I have just thought of another cunning and devious plan. The lady who gave me the Tour de France had two other bikes in the garage she wanted shot of, I didn't pay much attention to them 'cos the TdF stole my heart, but she did say I could take them away, maybe they have the parts I need for this.

There you go then

Top Bottom