Possible New Project - Dawes Ultra Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Personally, I don't try my luck with riding overly large frames. At a push, I could just ride a 25" road frame, but I would need to dismount the saddle very carefully and this factor just doesn't inspire confidence when riding in traffic. My hybrid/road frames are all 23 1/2" and 22 1/2" - the latter being a tiny bit small - but whereas you can adjust a saddle and bars, you can't adjust the crossbar.
If that was given to me I would probably look to use it as "currency" and see if I could do a swap with someone in the opposite situation; i.e. having a slightly smaller frame and wanting a bigger one. Reynolds 500 is looked down upon, but it's a worthwhile step up from gas pipe in terms of strength to weight ratio. I own a Dawes MTB project made of Reynolds 500 which I suspect was built at the turn of the 1990's. Just like @Drago I also rate cro-moly steel frames, having 3 lugged ones of 501 and 1 of 500, plus the bare Saracen MTB frame I recently found made of some non-Reynolds welded cro-moly...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My Claud is a 25.5 and my legs are 34.5...I can fit it and ride it fine, but I'm right at the edge - another inch and I'd be risking unscheduled crossbar-scrotum spatial incompatibility incidents.

Whereas I'd be staring up at that and wondering if a ladder would help. And that's why I'm not in your 'tall, beautiful people' club :laugh:

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well, all of this has been very helpful and useful, but when all said and done, I just don’t like the feckin colour of the thing. I think I’m gonna give it the elbow.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Don't bin it though! A Reynolds 500 frame is NOT a piece of BSO junk irrespective of whether you like the colour or not. Someone would be happy to use it, even if just given a rattle can spray job and only used to go down the pub on.

No I won’t bin it, I know it’s not a piece of junk, I’m not feeling the love. I will have a word with the guy that gave it to me and subject to his ok will offer it here.

Top Bottom