Possible Solution to My Bar/Brake Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Some of you are aware that I've been trying to resolve my bar, brake and shifter issues without having to make expensive changes. Just been messing about in the garage and have discovered a workable solution.

Flat bars with ergo style grips
Titec Bar Ends
V-Brake levers, the left/rear fitted on flat bar as usual, the right/front fitted on bar end.
Shifters - the hub gear twist shifters can stay as usual on flat bars. The 3 speed is my shopping bike and I rarely change gear. The 9 speed is my commuter and I know all necessary gear changes well in advance. For the unexpected I can change when stationary anyway. Then we have the Giant with the 9 speed triple trigger shifters. Leave on flat bar on the left for the chainring shifting, again not used very often. Fit the rear shifter next to brake on bar end.
Add some gel padding and black bar tape to the bar ends and I'm sorted.

Additional benefit is that I can vary width of bars by bringing the bar ends in a bit. Can also whack some tri bars in the middle.

Oh, this is going to be so ugly, I'm going to love it, and the final added bonus is that the piccies may make 4F internally combust:biggrin: Sadly it will mean a farewell to the butterfly bars

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Why do you want to brake? :biggrin:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Well, completed, tested and reverted to previous, it was a dismal failure. Was able to get brake and shifter on right side bar end. But it looked worse than I imagined and the negatives, positionally and handling, far outweighed any gains. If I want to achieve this then I need to go for an H-Bar:-

http://www.jonesbikes.com/h-bar.html

reluctant to shell out £300 for the titanium one but the alloy Titec copy can be had for about £60, I may try this, we'll see.

buddha

Veteran
Don't know what bar/brake issues you are having. But for comfort I use an On-One Mary bar for a more natural hand position. And Ergon grips - the ones with a shorter right-hand grip to accommodate a 5-speed twist shifter.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

just messing about really Budha, I've had this bee in my bonnet about wanting to be able to have the controls where I want them rather than where design dictates. I know my desired setup and that's areo/bullhorn bars, with bar end insert brakes, internal cable routing and crosstop secondary levers. Would also try out some tri bars for an extra position. This would give me braking at the sides and the flats. This is fine until I reach the next stumbling block:-

3 bikes, 2 with twist shifters, one with trigger shifters and all with V-brakes.

I can cope with the idea of new rim brakes to accomodate the lesser pull of road, as opposed to v-brake, levers. But mounting gear shifters becomes an issue. I'm thinking a secondary bar for the twist shifters but the trigger ones are a problem. Not only is the variance in bar diameter a hindrance but also the fact that they aren't an open clamp design. There's not enough give to get things round angles.

To be honest I only really want to sort this for the weekend bike and the ultimate solution is going to STI. But it's an expensive conversion and would probably be cheaper to buy another bike.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I know how you feel Mac.... there is always a dream solution....until you find the road block, like not being to get the clamp diameter you need.

This was my "bodge" of getting shifters and brakes to an accessible position for commuting in traffic - for which I certainly wasn't prepared to shell out on STI (especially as my "best bike" is still downtube shifters)

It's worked for a while - but very unforgiving on potholes, and my wrist giving me hell as result. Will be changing back to drops this w/e

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

been to LBS this morning and funnily enough one solution we came up with was very similar the the pic Pete's posted. Only difference being additional cross top levers.

Pete, why do you think you find them so uncomfortable? If I did that setup I'd be using gel pads under decent tape.

Other option is going the full STI route, Tiagra 4500......how much:ohmy::ohmy: Actually worked out it would be cheaper for me to buy a cheap road bike from LBS with STI shifters that I want. Switch stuff to the Giant and put the flat bar, and kit, on the cheap roadbike and then sell it as a fast hybrid almost unused.

Meanwhile I've just fitted my first SPD pedals and, after half an hour, have failed to clip in at all....I could be a while

Pete, if you're thinking of offloading the bar setup above, I could be interested in helping you....Al

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
MacBludgeon said:
Meanwhile I've just fitted my first SPD pedals and, after half an hour, have failed to clip in at all....I could be a while

It should be instant and very natural feeling. Sounds like something is amiss... :laugh:
Have you got the tension adjuster set to the maximim stiffness on the pedals or something Al? I assume you have fitted the cleats to the shoes? :?::laugh:

SD

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
When I first fitted SPDs to my bike - I set them on the easiest tension and sat on the bike in the kitchen clipping in and out until I thought I could go out on the streets without making an arse of myself. Worked well for me as I've only collapsed in a heap at a junction twice........so far! :?:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

well I got clipped in and out a few times and had a ride around a bit. First clip in was actually by hand, holding the shoe, and it was a struggle. Tension screws are set to easiest, almost at the end of available thread. Problem is the combi of the shoes and pedals, or specifically soles and cage. The shoes are Northwave Mission MTB ones, good chunky sole and the cleat is almost fully recessed. The pedals are Wellgo flat/spd combi ones, with largeish cage area. The chunky sole and the cage are coming into contact and interferring with the clip in process. It means I have to hit the spot very accurately, maybe not my long suit.

Not really a big concern, I can ride the flat side in these shoes as well, and I'm putting double sided spd on the weekend bike. If all goes to plan then the commuter may get double sided as well. Then these combi ones will either go on the pub bike or go to a good home.

PpPete

Legendary Member
4F said:
Shimano M520, enough said

+1 for M520 - very easy, even with cheapo Lidl shoes.

MacBludgeon said:
Pete, why do you think you find them so uncomfortable? If I did that setup I'd be using gel pads under decent tape.

Pete, if you're thinking of offloading the bar setup above, I could be interested in helping you....Al

That was just a photo I took at build stage when the subject came up in a previous discussion, couldn't be arsed to go take a photo with bar tape on!
Actually it was comfortable at first - so long as hands always on the "bar end" bit. The "flats" have a downward twist, which gives a less good hand position there. A regular bullhorn bar would be better than that one, which is a cut down Cinelli Tempo.

You'd be welcome to the handlebar when I take it off - but it is badly scratched in the clamp area. I'm keeping the aero brakes and bar-end levers for the conversion back to drops.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

porkypete said:
+1 for M520 - very easy, even with cheapo Lidl shoes.

That was just a photo I took at build stage when the subject came up in a previous discussion, couldn't be arsed to go take a photo with bar tape on!
Actually it was comfortable at first - so long as hands always on the "bar end" bit. The "flats" have a downward twist, which gives a less good hand position there. A regular bullhorn bar would be better than that one, which is a cut down Cinelli Tempo.

You'd be welcome to the handlebar when I take it off - but it is badly scratched in the clamp area. I'm keeping the aero brakes and bar-end levers for the conversion back to drops.

Ah, see what you mean, yes would put the wrists at a strange angle. I was expecting, whether I go bullhorns or full drops, to have the bars angled, front up a bit.

I'm still undecided on how to proceed, 3 options that I can see:-

bullhorn with bar end shifters, brake beneath and cross top, and either use a travel agent on the noodle to reduce pull required for existing v-brakes or switch to mini v's - cheapest option

drop bars with STI's and cross top levers - STI's aint cheap and, ridiculously, this could probably be done cheaper by buying a new bike, combine with existing to form two bikes and sell the one without the STI's.

stuff it all and just buy a new road bike - problem is I don't want to commit to this unless it's the bike I really want and that means a titanium Serotta Legend and big bucks. My wifes desire for a new bike, and a tandem(how much are they!!!!), has put my dream bike idea back a bit.

This all makes my head hurt, I'm going to stick with learning to use the SPD's for now.

Top Bottom