possibly not the best cycle lane ever installed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
It looks like a complete waste of time anyway, in that few if any cyclists will want to use the new lane. So little actual harm done.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3472546,-2.2491288,17z

The picture was taken at the junction of Mill Lane and Kingston Road. The latter is one-way between the bottom of Mill Lane and the B3107, but the arrows indicating that the B3107 is one-way are incorrect.

Maintaining access for motor vehicles along Mill Lane (downhill) is clearly essential.

Kingston Road in the other direction is two-way, but it's a dead-end serving mainly commercial premises. So the number of cyclists reaching the junction at the bottom of Mill Lane will be very small, and if they want to head out of town along the B3107 they can continue to do what they always did which looks a more comfortable option anyway, even if Mill Lane were an appropriate width for what has been done.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Don't forget "Incompetent spendthrift councils" are another high on the Daily Moan list of things that must always be portrayed in a negative light.

Would be interested in a local cyclists thoughts.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Maintaining access for motor vehicles along Mill Lane (downhill) is clearly essential.
Why so? It looks like it could/should be resident-access-only, to avoid creating a rat-run. Kingston Road is not ideally served from Mill Lane because the corner restriction prevents most commercial vehicles making the turn in one - using Bridge Yard is better.

And even if the bike lane was decent, the rider has to contravene a mandatory no entry sign in order access it 🤦‍♂️
Pah! That's nothing. One of our car parks has its only entrance beyond a mandatory bus/bike sign, visible on the left here:
HWayNorth-crop.jpg

As far as I know, Norfolk Constabulary have yet to fine any driver for disobeying the sign, yet some officers insist that you should push your bike from a no-cycling sign (not backed by a TRO) to cycle parking located beyond it, which is the same level of bonkers.

I've definitely seen cycle lanes going the 'wrong' way up one way roads before now. I guess there's not always going to be vans there and all users will just have to use caution.

icowden

Veteran
Loads of them in that there london. Often with the cycle lane bit completely obscured by parked cars / vans.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Why so? It looks like it could/should be resident-access-only, to avoid creating a rat-run. Kingston Road is not ideally served from Mill Lane because the corner restriction prevents most commercial vehicles making the turn in one - using Bridge Yard is better.
Yes, I see what you mean. But having dug a bit further I think I have some excuse!

When I made my previous post I thought I remembered the one-way arrows in Silver Street pointing in the opposite direction, hence my comment. Maybe Google Maps did have them pointing in the wrong direction for a while.

I know Bradford-on-Avon quite well, so I was a bit puzzled by there being one-way markers anyway. It turns out the new one-way system is a temporary measure designed to facilitate social distancing in the town, and it seems to have turned the place into a hell for everyone. Here's a recent local press article which gives a good flavour of what's been going on, and it includes comments from local cyclists. There've been many preceding it.

So it seems that the infamous cycle lane is part of a larger temporary scheme which few if any are happy with, for all sorts of reasons.

Sometimes it is almost as if someone in the council has a target to create a certain number of miles/yards of cycle path and once they have done all the sensible ones they have to look elsewhere

or maybe they get money for every cycle path they create???

or am I being cynical:whistle:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sometimes it is almost as if someone in the council has a target to create a certain number of miles/yards of cycle path and once they have done all the sensible ones they have to look elsewhere

or maybe they get money for every cycle path they create???

or am I being cynical:whistle:
Yes, too cynical, because what council ever delivered a target number of miles of cycleway or was paid on a per-yard basis rather than a per-project one?

Reportedly, once Active Travel England is up and running, building shoot will actually be penalised, probably slightly more than doing nothing, which will lead to cuts in council funding for motoring projects.

I suspect that what often happens is that a road layout is drawn with sensible cycle lanes or whatever, then after all the changes coming from clueless safety auditors (who do stuff like object to cyclists being encouraged to "ride in the middle of the road" by a wide advisory cycle lane) and requests for putting bus stop bays on and so on, then these stupid little bits are left over and no-one does a final sanity check: not the designers, not the supervising engineers and not the painters.

Top Bottom