Post a photo of your handlebar real estate

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Distorted Vision, 21 Jan 2016.

1. Distorted Vision

Distorted Vision Senior Member

I'm beginner to cycling and I'm always interested in what people have on their handlebars as people have differing views on what is a priority. I'm a gadget fiend and no doubt I've probably gone a bit OTT!

Here's a pic of my handlebar:

IMG_1538.jpg

L to R:

Moon XP 780 front light
    Garmin VIRB actioncam
    Garmin Edge 810 GPS cycle computer
    CateyeStrada Slim Universal cycle Computer
    Samsung Galaxy S5 in a Topeak Smartphone 5" Drybag
    Moon XP 780 front light

You're probably wondering why I effectively have 3 cycle computers! The Garmin I use for actual navigation, the Cateye is just for the odometer (I can't see very well at night) and the Samsung Galaxy S5 running Topeak Panobike for speed / cadence / duration. I dislike have to switch between screens on the Garmin. The phone does kind of stick out but I tend to mainly use it at night time.

Anyway please post a pic of your handlebar!

david k likes this.
  2. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Thats way too much info going on. Use the garmin to record and navigate and get rid of the phone and computer. Your phone wont survive a crash there.

Illaveago, 400bhp and Soltydog like this.
  3. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

PS its dangerous having that much stuff to distract you. i have a Garmin 705 & 200 that are on different bikes and I rarely look at them, only a quick glance if the navigation bleeps. They record everything so you can analyse training afterwards.

Hill Wimp, PK99 and 400bhp like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Distorted Vision

Yeah I'll probably just end up keeping the phone in the Topeak drybag in my jacket pocket or triangular bag. It also looks out of place on the handlebar anyway because its so big. The phone is actually my old one which I kept as a backup - its not my normal everyday phone. I don't actually ever look at the Cateye when cycling and like you only look at the Garmin when it beeps.

5. What is the action cam like? Is it reasonable at night time , and are you pleased with it?

6. OP
    OP
    Distorted Vision

The Garmin VIRB actioncam is great. I've only used it once when I went on a ride last Saturday morning. Not tested it at night yet but wondering about how it performs on the dark myself.

7. Let us know what it`s like at night when you have tested it. I got a bullet type dash cam for the car, and it`s quite impressive at night providing there are street lights. Not much use on unlit roads though.

8. OP
    OP
    Distorted Vision

Yeah I'll upload a short clip on YouTube. I got the old version of the VIRB as the new one is not a bullet type and doesn't look right on a bike. The old version is also heavily discounted on Amazon.

9. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

Have you got a clamp-on bracket for the expresso machine?
    BTW, the Cateye is a great bit of kit.

10. Heisenberg71

Heisenberg71 When you're dead, you're dead

Each to their own but what a ridiculous amount of stuff to cart about with you, IMO.
    "Less is more", surely. A Garmin and a light, max.

11. Ffoeg

Ffoeg .

Etrex attached usually
    Virb attached sometimes
    Lights attached rarely

2_zpsbl6wzy1x.jpg

I've this mount on both MTB and hybrid, but no camera option on the road bike.

david k likes this.
  12. image.jpeg

Left to right : Garmin ( it's gone now:smile:), little light thing from Decathlon, Halfords copy of a Lezyne Macro drive light, cycle computer from Aldi for front wheel, a bell ( you simply must have a bell ) another cheapo cycle comp, for the rear wheel, and a tension dial, for setting up the bike using a Turbo trainer.

13. 400bhp

400bhp Guru

It's not very good at night.

14. zaza123

zaza123 Well-Known Member

Is it April 1st? You really have all this stuff on your bars?

jay clock, bancrobba, 2clepto and 2 others like this.
  15. bancrobba

bancrobba Guest

IMG_1538.jpg

Was it difficult getting planning permission?

lazybloke, Grant Fondo, HLaB and 18 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice