Post chain and cassette chain slipping....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattDB

Über Member
Am I right in thinking that, after changing my cassette and chain, if I'm still experiencing chain slippage the most obvious culprit is the chain-rings? It does feel like the chain is jumping over them rather than the cassette? The whole drive train has done 2000 miles, I changed the chain at 500 when it snapped and the chain and cassette a couple of hundred miles ago.

Slips worse in small chain-ring (its a double) and more often after I've just changed ring. I am 15 stone and stand up a lot so it's probably taken quite a lot of punishment although I thought it would last longer than this (sora).

Anything else I should be checking or just change the rings?

Joffey

Big Dosser
Is it the right speed chain?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Worn out chainrings are fairly obvious if you look at the profile of the teeth. Wear is usually worst near to 45° from the crank arms.
This example had slipped, ripping the tops off the teeth near the anti-drop pin, which of course made it slip much more easily. The teeth on the left side show how worn the teeth can get before slipping (the pin here wasn't behind the crank arm, as that's where one of the chainring bolts was).
chainring-1.jpg

Other than chainring slippage, you could also check your gear adjustment - you can get failed changes where the chain starts to change, then drops back, giving a bit of a jerk.

gbb

Legendary Member
Freehub could be on the way out.
Thats not so easy to check or positively identify though. Check yer chainrings as suggested, if they look ok, then it could be freehub.

OP
OP
M

MattDB

Über Member
Thanks - Just checked my chainrings - look pretty ok - no sign of those shark fins.

Just another thought - would some slight movement in the bottom bracket cause these symptoms?

DWiggy

Über Member
I've had my front chain ring on two different bikes and it's still going its done about 15,000 miles and still going, I do change the chain before it it get's to the .75 mark on the chain gage and usually get 2 chains to 1 cassette and so far not needed to change the front rings.

Could be the free hub as @gbb mentioned or the wrong chain, also where the chain was joined it not to stiff?

...also it's not to long either as new chains do usually need to get shortened? (You probably already know this though)

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Am I right in thinking that, after changing my cassette and chain, if I'm still experiencing chain slippage the most obvious culprit is the chain-rings?
No.

I mean it's obviously worth a check but unless you've been smashing the chainrings and there's hardly anything left of them I doubt they're to blame.

Did you re-index your gears when you fitted the new cassette? Cable tension being tweaked has sorted it in the past for me.

Top Bottom