Post crash repair or write off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Good mate T boned a car that pulled out on him y'day. Just bumps and bruises but his bike is a mess.

Front wheel looks good, must have hit at near 90 degrees, carbon fork then transmitted the impact forces via the head tube so the down tube and top tube are bent/creased at the butt points. So as a minimum it needs two new tubes and a new 'just in case' carbon fork.

Now is a class bike, 12-year-old Columbus tubed lugged and brazed steel Dave Hinde bought for £800 to do a London-Paris sponsored ride, ridden dry weekends only every since but in spotless mint condition. He has all the insurance details, police involved, several indepenent witnesses. Driver denied responsibility but trust me she is bang to rights, didn't give way at the stop line.

As it happens he bought a new bike (Spesh Tarmac) last week which he was collecting today and was relegating the Hinde to winter weekend duties.

It is worth repairing the Hinde frame? What does CC say....?

Well if it's steel, I believe it could be possible to be repaired by an expert - its whether the cost of repair is justified over a replacement.

Only advice I'd give is to take it to a professional for their opinion.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
If it's an insurance job, ie someone else is paying, then I'd go for the repair.

Whether the Loss Adjuster will write it off as Beyond Economic Repair is another matter: I dare say DH could make a strong case on behalf of your mate.

Either way, at least he walked away.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I would get a quote from a frame builder for a new frame. Not being rude, but a Hinde isn't a 'classic' like Roberts etc. etc. Now if my Herety was damaged, then I would get it repaired as it was hand built for me, to size. If my steel Ribble was damaged, I'd just get another frame built, or off the peg.

Dave7

Legendary Member
AND.......if the drivers insurance company is involved warn him to be in for a loooong wait as they can be awful when it comes to holding out on payments. It's all wrong (IMO) but it's what sometimes happens.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Dave Hinde is not widely held in high regard - to be fair most problems date from a few years ago.

I have bought and used an unbadged ( :thumbsup:) bike from him - well made but nothing special.

D

Deleted member 1258

If the forks and frame are knackered its probably not worth repairing, if it goes through on the drivers insurance a new bike would be a better outcome.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I collected this wrecked bike from my dear friend's widow; he died whilst out on his bike in October. She was clearing the shed and called me.

Replacing the two damaged tubes doesn't make economic sense, especially as the frame is way to small for me.

I'm going to strip all the Campag Mirage, and other, bits off it, reuse the back wheel, rebuild the front wheel with new rim and spokes, and transplant them onto a pre-loved steel frame which I've yet to source from somewhere. Then I'll ride it for the annual remembrance ride we've set up for him.

What's a nice 15-year-old-ish lugged steel frame to suit someone 6' 2"? Or what's an affordable contemporary replacement?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A 12 year old frame will be written off by the insurance company. Unless you can prove it has classic value (And it won't have) it is way beyond economic repair.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I collected this wrecked bike from my dear friend's widow; he died whilst out on his bike in October. She was clearing the shed and called me.

Replacing the two damaged tubes doesn't make economic sense, especially as the frame is way to small for me.

I'm going to strip all the Campag Mirage, and other, bits off it, reuse the back wheel, rebuild the front wheel with new rim and spokes, and transplant them onto a pre-loved steel frame which I've yet to source from somewhere. Then I'll ride it for the annual remembrance ride we've set up for him.

What's a nice 15-year-old-ish lugged steel frame to suit someone 6' 2"? Or what's an affordable contemporary replacement?
Don't know about used framesets but in terms of affordable and contemporary, would something like the Spa Audax frameset suit? http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s143p2828

Citius

Dave Hinde is not widely held in high regard - to be fair most problems date from a few years ago.

I have bought and used an unbadged ( :thumbsup:) bike from him - well made but nothing special.

All of those 'issues' relate to his somewhat 'old fashioned' customer service. The quality of his frames and wheels has never been questioned, as far as I'm aware.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
A 12 year old frame will be written off by the insurance company. Unless you can prove it has classic value (And it won't have) it is way beyond economic repair.
Insurers weren't involved, as it happens, the driver coughed up £1000 rather than have their no claims go up in smoke, and my late friend got a nice spesh which he was riding when he passed.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
All of those 'issues' relate to 'old fashioned' customer service. The quality of his frames and wheels has never been questioned, as far as I'm aware.
rather my impression too. it's a very nice light very well finished lugged steel frame with ritchey cast dropouts.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

Off topic, I've often been tempted by Dave Hinde prices but been put off by the horrendous reputation he has. Has he turned the corner and improved his service?

Top Bottom