Post-Punk - Which is the greatest album?

Which is the greatest post-punk album?

• Public Image Limited - Metal Box

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

• Magazine - Real Life

• Killing Joke - Killing Joke

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above - another post-punk classic

• None of the above - post-punk was an abomination

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was a complete late-comer to Joy Division. I've been listening to Substance for the last few months and I have to say that the classics (Atmosphere, LWTUA, Transmission) and a handful of decent tracks aside, they were actually a bit, well, crap really. One of the most over-rated of all the musical holy cows perhaps?

yello

Chuffy said:
One of the most over-rated of all the musical holy cows perhaps?

Oh come now, I'm sure you can think of other bands that deserve the title more than Joy Division!!

Music is, obviously, an entirely subjective thing so I will disagree with you! Joy Division are one of the very very few bands that still make my spine tingle. I can still listen to 'Decades' or '24 Hours' - to name but two - and still feel as haunted as the day I first heard them... perhaps more so.

Agree with the Wire call too... some of the finest pop songs ever made. 'map reference' is damned near perfection, imho. And I have a version of '2 people in a room' that just screams play me louder!

Dave5N

Über Member
Not sure Cope qualifies, really. The Teardrop Explodes do though - Sleeping Gas?

Peggy Suicide is indeed a fine album - though I personally harbour a soft spot for AUtogeddon (hence the sig a few weeks ago).

Rhythm Thief said:
I'm actually not really sure what Post Punk is, but my vote would go to Television's "Marquee Moon", or maybe Julian Cope's "Peggy Suicide". Would that count?
That's a bit late isn't it? Even the Teardrops wouldn't really scrape into post-punk would they?

Yello - There are plenty of musical holy cows, from the Beatles downward. Joy Division were never really a big chart act, so they also have that cult following thing going for them. Maybe calling them crap is a bit much, their classics really are classics, but on the evidence of Substance there ain't much more to them musically than that. I guess Ian Curtis never meant anything to me, so I'm making my judgement solely on the music and not on the whole mythos that surrounds the band.

Dave5N

Über Member
Yes, It probably is. Influencing not influenced.

Abitrary

col said:
Ill have to have a dig around the attic,iv got a few somewhere,devo,999,blondie,boomtown rats,police,stranglers,and even a yellow vinyle of the dickies too i think?

Not the definitive Banana Splits theme???

Top Bottom