Post Your Broadband Speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine is very slow. But I'm way out in the sticks. It varies with temperature - I get better performance during the winter than when it's very hot, as the signal degrades when the copper wires expand.

I get different speeds according to which tester I use - up to 25% error.

Mike_P

Guru
A previous ISP somehow managed to have their connection routed via the exchange in York and even more so such that when the Ouse flooded that the connection failed!

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

Ping (whatever that is?) 41ms... Download 2.29 upload 0.59 With Plusnet, out in the Norfolk sticks.
We were told yesterday that our problem has been fixed! I suspect not, both from seeing the results other have, and the fact my Wife's facetime conversation to my daughter is lost as soon as i touch this keyboard.

alicat

Legendary Member
1687987192870.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am still waiting for fibre here. There is obviously a technical issue because surrounding streets have it but they keep putting off naming a date for availability for me. I will be getting a UHD TV in the next year or so and I would like fibre by then.

Currently 16.8 Mb/s download speed, and a poor 0.85 Mb/s upload speed.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
One thing that may be worth thinking about if you have very low up/down speeds is that, in many cases, WFH has changed the demands on domestic infrastucture.

Whilst a given service package may be ok for a current occupier of a home, it may not be ok for a subsequent occupier.

For sure a subsequent occupier may be able to upgrade the service package and/or infrastructure but it is just another hassle barrier that people don't want when purchasing a house.

Our village has B4RN and AFAIK only two residents did not take up the offer - both 'could not see the point'.

Pretty crazy really as the install cost was only £150 which was 100% reimbursed by a Gov' scheme.

Prior to B4RN our ex-neighbours lost a sale due to v.low upload speeds (published on house particulars by Estate Agents these days I am told) - basically, the would-be buyer loved and wanted the house but needed a fast upload speed for large 'scientific' files whilst WFH. He was about a year to soon!

Obviously budgets come into play (although B4RN is crazy cheap), as well as service availabilty, but keeping on top of BB infrastructure may well be as important as keeping the rest of a home up to date.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Screenshot_20230629_062813_Speedtest.jpg

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Ouch Community Fibre is £25 for 1GB! About the only thing we get cheaper in London!

If any Londoners who have access are looking for a change to CF, let me know. Referral gets us each £100 voucher to spend on bike stuff with Big Brazilian River ;)

I had copper lines before and was getting 6mb/sec. I went with Virgin who said yes they can install fibre to my door. Got a "contract" at £30/month for up to 200mb/sec but half way through they upped it twice so it's now at £39.25, but they have increased speed to 250 which wasn't really needed. I don't even know if I can change ISP becasue apparently virgin are the only ones who provide full fibre to my area, but the lines must have already been there becasue there was no digging up of the road or anything, they just ran lines into my house from somewhere outside, took them about an hour. Maybe I should enquire further

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Our village has B4RN and AFAIK only two residents did not take up the offer - both 'could not see the point'.

Pretty crazy really as the install cost was only £150 which was 100% reimbursed by a Gov' scheme.

Did you get roped into laying the cables too? IIRC my brother-in-law had to dig his own trench.

Top Bottom