Post Your Broadband Speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Today is a good day! With 4g Internet as a provider as live rural. Was with bt first 2 years I was here and they promised a max of a whopping 1.5 meg download, but very rarely got to that. During lockdown we used to check on sky to see if there was anything we fancied downloading for later, usually at 8am so it would be download by evening.

Screenshot_20230802_092001_Chrome.jpg

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Today is a good day! With 4g Internet as a provider as live rural. Was with bt first 2 years I was here and they promised a max of a whopping 1.5 meg download, but very rarely got to that. During lockdown we used to check on sky to see if there was anything we fancied downloading for later, usually at 8am so it would be download by evening.

View attachment 701205

Crikey, that is slow.

No prospect of fibre where you are?

Fastpedaller

Since they dug up our road to fit fibre we've had ongoing problems. Maybe a coincidence, but as we've been here with Plusnet for 20 years with no real problem, I suspect a strong link. Openreach (or BT) were due on 7th July at our property and we waited but nobody arrived. They claim it was fixed externally. A couple of weeks later and we had no internet for over 12 hours - As it was completely kaput (rather than the intermittent drop for a few minutes) I was confident the fault would be found and rectified. Again fixed externally. Lo and behold, we had no internet yesterday, and plusnet told me it dropped during the early hours (at 03:30). Someone due between 08:00 and 13:00 today, and not turned up yet. But we have internet (otherwise I couldn't type this :laugh: ). But how stable and for how long?
Interestingly the owner of our village store told me yesterday that customers 1 mile away from us (where the fibre has just been installed) have lost their internet. I keep being told by Plusnet that there is no link though. The conspiracy theorist in me suggests the speed has been 'wound down' and faults introduced to encourage us to go fibre.

Crikey, that is slow.

No prospect of fibre where you are?

For the last 18 months a company called County broadband have been saying fftp is coming to our area soon, but on the latest communication they still couldn't say when, definitely not before Christmas, but they still want me to sign up and give them my bank details !

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm paying for 250mb speed - I usually get that in the evenings, but this last couple of weeks in the daytime it's been down to 20, even less, and frequently drops out altogether. To add insult to injury they've increased the price from £32 to £39 mid-way through the contract :cursing:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
@Adam4868 I think that's good. Before I got my infinite download speed, I was on 3 Mbps, which for me was fine. In fact, I don't really notice any difference with my infinite speed. I think it's really easy to get caught up with "must have a massive speed", but for me (no teenagers at home) and I don't use streaming or whatever, the low number was fine. I only changed to full fibre as it was cheaper (Plusnet).

Adam4868

Guru
@Adam4868 I think that's good. Before I got my infinite download speed, I was on 3 Mbps, which for me was fine. In fact, I don't really notice any difference with my infinite speed. I think it's really easy to get caught up with "must have a massive speed", but for me (no teenagers at home) and I don't use streaming or whatever, the low number was fine. I only changed to full fibre as it was cheaper (Plusnet).
Thanks...I have two teenagers at home ! Only sometimes do I get the circle of death when I'm streaming something such as a film or iPlayer.Tolerable though most of the time

Buck

Guru
We had many years with <5MB broad band and then got FTTC and now we have full fibre - weirdly I now pay less for this than I did for my previous broadband speeds! This is on wifi rather than via the network socket.

1691002861155.png

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

I agree, to an extent, re your 'caught up' comment.

But, the ultra-fast speeds may not be strictly necessary right now but they are a form of future proofing.

Technology and online services are changing so quickly plus who could have predicted the WFH surge? All putting more demands on home broadband capability.

BB speeds are now quoted on house sale details too.

Tenkaykev

Guru
We have FTTC and have been very pleased with the service we get from Zen. Really on the ball with liasing with Openreach when there was a line problem caused by water ingress and dodgy cable routing. There's a new kid on the block, CityFibre? who have been diggung up the roads and footpaths locally and laying down purple trunking. Interestingly they have been installing new telegraph poles next to the existing BT ones, and stringing the catenary wires between them. I suppose that it avoids the need to install ducting through front gardens and driveways. They have done a bit of initial leafleting, but I don't think they are going to light up the fibre till later in the year when I expect the hard sell sales tactics to commence.

Top Bottom