Post Your Broadband Speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Did you get roped into laying the cables too? IIRC my brother-in-law had to dig his own trench.

No, I wasn't part of the volunteer team that managed the project. All the cable laying was done by a sub-contracted professional with a snazzy little cable-laying vehicle.

I just had to dig a trench in the back garden from property edge to the back wall of the house and drop the orange outer pipe in ready for the connection team as well as fitting a supplied connection box inside the house. Took me half a day.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Standard boggo 60 Mbits from BT Fibre (FTTC). Funny how 'scally village' down the road all has FTTP but we've no schedule for it at all, being just a couple of miles away.

Last edited:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
A question for those of you who may know. Does the fibre have to go to the house itself? I ask because I think there is fibre to a box perhaps 50 yards from my house, would I see a vast improvement if it came to the house? I'm only thinking aloud really as my pitifully slow speed is enough for me at the moment, although I do accept @SpokeyDokey 's point about not everyone thinking like that.

Fastpedaller

I don't know for certain (so other's may be more help :rolleyes: ), but I do know that County Broadband were putting fibre in our road (really messed the pavements) and the guys said each property would get a box on the pavement at their entrance. Strangely a few have a box, others don't - maybe they have signed up to it?

A question for those of you who may know. Does the fibre have to go to the house itself?
If your speed is 'pitiful' now then fibre to a nearby box will be an order of magnitude or two better and will suffice for pretty much everything you want to do unless you aspire to uploading huge volumes of media data or want to watch multiple streaming services simultaneously (where multiple is really lots and lots). Most people with 1Gbps connections, such as me, will be constrained by wifi quality inside the house, not by the fibre connection into it. (Assuming you use wifi of course.)

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair, singe going all fibery I've noticed zero difference from an end user perspective. I don't know what the numbers were but the performance of the olde broadband was first class anyway

Gwylan

Veteran
3, surprisingly. Fast enough for our needs.
SIM based can take it anywhere in the UK too. Just need 240v.

Screenshot_20230630-004207.png

70 down, 20 up, Plus net FTTC. FTTP not currently available. Etherley to main PC, everything else wifi.

Drago

Legendary Member
A question for those of you who may know. Does the fibre have to go to the house itself? I ask because I think there is fibre to a box perhaps 50 yards from my house, would I see a vast improvement if it came to the house? I'm only thinking aloud really as my pitifully slow speed is enough for me at the moment, although I do accept @SpokeyDokey 's point about not everyone thinking like that.

No, doesn't have to. We have fibre as far as the street and my router talks to a box on the telegraph pole outside the house.

fossyant

FTTP has to come to the house - we're fibre to a box on the pavement about 100m away, then copper to the house. 60/70 mbps is about the max for copper.

We've even got the routing in the pavements for fibre, but it's never been connected. When Virgin did all the upgrades and dug up all the pavements, they never connected their infrastructure to our road as it was a new-ish build - wouldn't have needed to dig up our road at all, they just didn't bother to spur across the width of the road to get to us.

fossyant

That said, we do throw everything at our FTTC connection - can be streaming movies, downloading something and the 'kids' both gaming. The only issues we occasionally get is when the connection drags and there is a fault somewhere. It's not very often.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Plusnet router, WiFi to a PC.
3.7 mbps down, 0.3 mbps up, response 46ms.

Since my last check, I've gone to full fibre to the house (it was cheaper than my old package, although I've lost the landline). Over the last two weeks I've had a succession of OpenReach bods at my house, they had problems as the duct was silted up (I live 300 yards up a farm track). Today it was fired up and I've just checked.
Results: Response time 15ms, download is reading "infinity" and upload 20 Mbps. Looking forward to hitting Iplayer big time. :okay:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Since my last check, I've gone to full fibre to the house (it was cheaper than my old package, although I've lost the landline). Over the last two weeks I've had a succession of OpenReach bods at my house, they had problems as the duct was silted up (I live 300 yards up a farm track). Today it was fired up and I've just checked.
Results: Response time 15ms, download is reading "infinity" and upload 20 Mbps. Looking forward to hitting Iplayer big time. :okay:

What did you check it with - they are strange readings.

Download the ookla App and give that a try.

Top Bottom