Post your PSI's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paladin - York

mines on 60 front and back

+1

Kona Fire Mountain currently with Schwalbe Marathon "slicks". It's just like an old "boneshaker" with solid tyres.

OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I get the feeling I should inflate mine more...only when I do this I get more punctures..today being a case in point

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I get the feeling I should inflate mine more...only when I do this I get more punctures..today being a case in point

I'm your weight plus some and I found 110 rear and 90 front for 23mm tyres was fine. More got uncomfy and I was scared to go less. Of course I use bigger tyres now and never go beyond 90 psi on the rear, even with me and panniers, and front is closer to the 70 mark.

It's a can of worms, my very limited personal experience for higher pressures was that it felt a lot faster. Being jarred and rattled generally does :whistle: but my computer didn't agree. I think I had about 1500 miles on the 700x23s and I suffered 2 punctures in that time, on the same ride. Front tyre was a piece of glass and the rear was a pinch puncture. Though the latter also involved a pothole, twisted handlebars and a wrecked rear rim, so I'm not sure you can blame lower tyre pressures for that one.

Going to lower pressures and/or larger tyres feels slower than the computer shows to be the case. I aslo find that it balances out more on longer rides. I may be slower on the bigger/softer tyres but I'm not as beat up later in the ride, so my speeds don't tail off as much, and I generally feel better afterwards.

Then there's the weird aspect of riders of all sizes and weights putting in the same pressures in skinny tyres. Look at Ian for example, he runs up at 120psi yet one of my legs probably outweighs him :whistle: Now if I find 110+ jarring and I compress the tyres a lot more than him then I can only imagine what a 'boneshaker' his ride is.

8 bar boogies for me! 100kg +
P-X Ti = Schwalbe Durano+ (23s) on Ultegra 6700 rims
Solo = Schwalbe Marathon+ (25s) on Spa 36H Handbuilts (dream commuting wheels!)
Veneto = M+(25s) on Ambrosio, or Campagnolo Khamsin factory wheels
Pro3Race on the other two, although superseded by the Duranos, which I find excellent. All teetering on 115-120PSI...that's the only way to give yourself the best chance against punctures. Punctures. Punctures punctures punctures.(© Flying Dodo passim :smile:)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Then there's the weird aspect of riders of all sizes and weights putting in the same pressures in skinny tyres. Look at Ian for example, he runs up at 120psi yet one of my legs probably outweighs him :whistle: Now if I find 110+ jarring and I compress the tyres a lot more than him then I can only imagine what a 'boneshaker' his ride is.

Far from 'Boneshaker' mon amie.
I think once you get past the 100psi mark then the relative pressures and rides are pretty much similar per bike. Unless of course you go right to the very limit of your tyres psi. Of course another factor to consider is the bike. My commute bike and my 'nice' bike are the same brand with the same geometry but one is carbon and the other is Alu. The carbon soaks up the 'boneshaker' effect far more then the Alu. I can ride a 100 miles on the Carbon and feel fresh as a daisy. Do the same with the Alu and it feels I have done 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. Hence on the Alu the front tyre pressure running lower then the rear but on the carbon, both tyres have the same pressure.

But then again with all the miles I do my arse has just got used to a bloody good rattling.. ooh eer missus,

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Far from 'Boneshaker' mon amie.
I think once you get past the 100psi mark then the relative pressures and rides are pretty much similar per bike. Unless of course you go right to the very limit of your tyres psi. Of course another factor to consider is the bike. My commute bike and my 'nice' bike are the same brand with the same geometry but one is carbon and the other is Alu. The carbon soaks up the 'boneshaker' effect far more then the Alu. I can ride a 100 miles on the Carbon and feel fresh as a daisy. Do the same with the Alu and it feels I have done 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. Hence on the Alu the front tyre pressure running lower then the rear but on the carbon, both tyres have the same pressure.

But then again with all the miles I do my arse has just got used to a bloody good rattling.. ooh eer missus,

:biggrin: Hmm I think you're missing out an important ingredient here, fitness, or in bike terms how much you pedal and how hard. A tub of lard like me, sat heavy on the bike, coasting when he can and never pedalling too hard...well that will be a rougher ride. Whereas a trim, mile munching, furious pedalling, speed demon such as yourself...well you float above the saddle a lot more.

As for Teef, well he's just a hopeless case and too boneheaded to notice the level of jarring :whistle:

Top Bottom