Potatoes in fridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Why do you ask?
Tho i fear this may be a divert.
As it happens am a serious coffee head, drink lots of it, strong.

Loads of acrylamide in coffee!!

PK99

Legendary Member
I used to buy spuds by the sack off my granddad... they lasted months but i guess still having the muck on helped.

I wish i could still buy mucky carrots too... they just don't last once they've been washed :sad:

The industry link i gave upthread says just that: cleaned on way out of coldstore, not on way in.

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

Cripes, who would have thought spuds so complicated.
I did note this though:

Potato germination during storage.​

A word of warning​

Potatoes stored below 5° Celsius do not sprout.
Potatoes stored above 5° Celsius do sprout.
The higher the storage temperature, the more chance of germination, which creates serious problems resulting in significant losses.

@@@@

This to me explains why my spuds stored in a bag in my kitchen went off.
And would seem to me to be an argument for keeping them in the fridge.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cripes, who would have thought spuds so complicated.
I did note this though:

Potato germination during storage.​

A word of warning​

Potatoes stored below 5° Celsius do not sprout.
Potatoes stored above 5° Celsius do sprout.
The higher the storage temperature, the more chance of germination, which creates serious problems resulting in significant losses.

@@@@

This to me explains why my spuds stored in a bag in my kitchen went off.
And would seem to me to be an argument for keeping them in the fridge.

Don't forget the article is about long-term industrial storage, so slightly different circumstances to most homes where 'most' people buy spuds little and often and don't hold them for long periods.

Your fridge storage period is probs not so long, so in your case I'd carry on 😀

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
My allotment stash seems to keep in good condition in the cupboard. Maybe potatoes don't react well to cold storage, being warmed up in the shop and then being refrigerated again.

PK99

Legendary Member
My allotment stash seems to keep in good condition in the cupboard. Maybe potatoes don't react well to cold storage, being warmed up in the shop and then being refrigerated again.

From the linked article:
Very important::
Do not, under any circumstances, increase the temperature during this process. If a potato is cooled down, it "thinks" that winter has arrived, but if it suddenly warmed, its germination mechanism awakens, because the potato "thinks" that spring has come around again.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I've started to store our potatoes in the fridge. Our new fridge is mahoosive, so needed to fill it up ! TBH, everything is lasting much longer in this new fridge, way better for fruit and veg than our old one.

Does not compute!

I've got two dedicated freezers, so my fridge is purely for chilled goods, no need for an ice box or freezer section.

So somewhere approaching 400 litre capacity, but most of the time it's still a massive jenga game to squeeze everything in. Doesn't help that my fussy family have at least four different types of milk and 6 different types of butter/spread!!!!

Might have to get an industrial 600litre fridge next time.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Does not compute!

I've got two dedicated freezers, so my fridge is purely for chilled goods, no need for an ice box or freezer section.

So somewhere approaching 400 litre capacity, but most of the time it's still a massive jenga game to squeeze everything in. Doesn't help that my fussy family have at least four different types of milk and 6 different types of butter/spread!!!!

Might have to get an industrial 600litre fridge next time.

Just get rid of the fussy family....

Top Bottom