Potatoes in fridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The butter might get a chip on its shoulder?

Lozz360

Veteran
So do I remove the potatoes from my fridge and put them in a well ventilated cupboard or should I bin them? However, from the link: “Research stress that there is not yet any clear evidence of acrylamide causing cancer in people.”

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Store them in a paper bag somewhere cool and dark. Mine go in the porch which is the coolest part of the house - I don't want them mice tempted to eat them in the garage. I also keep things like onions, beetroot, leeks, etc. there.

I wouldn't worry about the risk from eating the one bagfull from the fridge.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So do I remove the potatoes from my fridge and put them in a well ventilated cupboard or should I bin them? However, from the link: “Research stress that there is not yet any clear evidence of acrylamide causing cancer in people.”

Take them out and store in a dark cupboard. the risk is one of those that of you eat 8 stone of spuds a day you may suffer, but iy doesnt do the flavour any good, plus its taking up vital beer storage space

OP
OP
Petrichorwheels

Petrichorwheels

Cripes i wasn't expecting cancer risk. Even if not necessarily proven.
I have in the past kept them in a hessian bag in the kitchen but it's not too dark or cool and they started sprouting/went off. Was never a problem as a kid, mega bag under stairs in kitchen. We did eat a lot of them. Am inclined to continue with (very cold) fridge for a while.

Edit, have just read that good housekeeping article to the end and apparently they shouldn't be kept next to onions. My onions sit next to the potatoes in the fridge.
Doomed?

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Take them out and store in a dark cupboard. the risk is one of those that of you eat 8 stone of spuds a day you may suffer, but iy doesnt do the flavour any good, plus its taking up vital beer storage space

beer shouldn't be in the fridge - not unless you've got a special cellar temparature beer fridge

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I keep mine in a cupboard but then I hardly eat potatoes so what's in there is a small quantity and will get used up within a week.
Potatoes seem to sprout really quickly these days, plus when you do cook them, if they're more than a week old they go grey after you've cooked and cooled them. Buy them as you need them I'd say.

Onions sit in the cupboard as well, they really don't need to be in a fridge! You'll be putting your eggs in the fridge next.
Where do you put your beer for goodness sakes!?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
1 - It affects the flavour and texture, due to changes in the sugar content at refrigerated temperatures.
2 - The changes in the sugars may increase the production of acrylamide - which is possibly associated with an increased cancer risk - during cooking.

The acrylamide risk is only for roasting or frying at high temperatures - and to be fair it's an issue with any fried carbohydrate food including coated products. Unless you eat these products day-in day-out 24/7 I don't think there is much to worry about.

Additional sugars aid browning, so no bad thing depending what you're making!

If your spud usage rate is such that you need to keep them in the fridge then either you're buying to many or not eating them that regularly...if it's the latter then I wouldn't worry.
But out of the pack and allowed to breath in a cool dark place saves fridge space for beer....

Top Bottom