Should Avocados ever be kept in the fridge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can you keep them there to halt the ripening process? Or should you let them ripen outside and eat?
BTW I can heartily recommend Waitrose smooth and delicious Italian balsamic &Olive oil dressing for salads or to eat with Avacado.

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-italian-dressing/527376-74550-74551

LN_527376_BP_11.jpg

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
Unripe .... in the fruit bowl to speed ripening
Ripe... in the fridge to slow ripening, bring to room temp before eating.

Fridge. They'll keep up to a month if you buy them while they're still quite firm. Gives you that extra wiggle room, as they tend to ripen very quickly at ambient.

I love avocado on toast for lunch - with a good splooshette of thai sweet chilli sauce :hungry:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Fridge. They'll keep up to a month if you buy them while they're still quite firm. Gives you that extra wiggle room, as they tend to ripen very quickly at ambient.

I love avocado on toast for lunch - with a good splooshette of thai sweet chilli sauce :hungry:

I might try that then, I find it a frustrating fruit as its a bit like Goldilock's porridge time it so its edible but not gone black

I might try that then, I find it a frustrating fruit as its a bit like Goldilock's porridge time it so its edible but not gone black

Pop them in the vegetable drawer and just check them regularly.

I tend to buy the loose ones, as the packaged "ripen in the fruitbowl" ones from Tesco went through a phase of going black rather than ripening after they price-matched them to Aldi.

Think part of the problem is people squeezing them in the shop...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Think part of the problem is people squeezing them in the shop...

I get that, but then I have been told i have a fine backside.... :laugh:

Top Bottom