'power grips' vs clipless (foot pain)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helmet tester

I seem to have a problem with my foot that i've heard refered to as 'hot foot' (sounds like a dance i know).....a feeling of sort of hot and cold burning in a specific place, ball of foot where it connects with your pedal - this is something i experience when walking too, always a little nag and gets unbearable after an hour max walk or cycle, to the point i have to stop. Nasty kind of pain, shoots up into the underside of my toes. Theres a lot of crunching and clicking when i manipulate the foot but nothing that would suggest arthritis, bruising or injury.

its been around for years, same foot, same pain, doesnt imorove with excersise in fact gets worse. And i'm particular about wearing appropriate, good quality shoes specific to whatever i'm doing.

Anyway i gave up on clipless (much as i enjoyed the definite benifits), so i got 'power-grips' - basically a diagonal strap across the pedal. Not perfect but a compromise between old fashioned cages and clipless. This allows me to wear softer shoes - the problem still occurs but nowhere near as bad.

first i'd like to hear anyones comments on these powergrips, and secondly (wrong forum maybe) but does anyone know anything about this foot thing and if so do i have to live with it or am i looking at some sort of drastic treatment?

much appreciated

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I gave up on the Powergrips because I didn't like the pedals they forced me to use, I like a big platform pedal, BMX style. I also felt that the mounting hardware for the PGs was rubbish for the price you were paying. The only time I've experienced 'hot foot' is when my foot has been fixed in place, the smaller the platform the worse it would be.

There are various ways of addressing this, cleat alignment, varying pedals, special insoles, stiffer soled shoes, etc. But I found a large platform and a decent grippy sole worked fine for me. If you still want some form of foot retention there're a growing number of velcro straps available. These came about for BMX platforms and probably to do with people riding fixed and playing polo. Similar idea to PG's but straight across not diagonal, you just adjust the velcro tab for the size of footwear you're wearing. Some of them actually have no metal parts at all, seem to be around the £20-30 mark, there's even online instructions around on how to make your own.

I tried some of the Holdfast ones but found that the combination of pins on the pedal and super grippy stealth rubber soles meant that I had to set them too loose in order to be able to get my feet in and out. I have since read that others, using the same sort of combo, have had to remove the pins from the pedal platform.

snailracer

Über Member
Another option, Zefal MT45 strapless clips:

1257941674898-1tnmzoqhwu8r-399-75.jpg

OP
OP
helmet tester

helmet tester

they look like they may have the same disadvantage as the powergrips - take your foot off the pedal and the weight of the contraption makes the whole pedal go upside down

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
They do unfortunately, they spin to point downwards.

I moved from the zefals to spd pedals, and I like being clipped in. However I have started to develop an uncomfortable hot spot over the cleats as my rides have got longer. I'm thinking of a few different options: -

1) Sorbothane insoles to remove the impact of the foot strike. They seemed to work well in my walking boots in the past

2) Some touring style pedals which have a full flat pedal coombined with an spd in the middle. These might spread the load a bit wider

3) Finally I might look at some road pedals and clips, with a big cleat that should spread the impact out a bit more.

I'd prefer not to have to do 3 as it is the most expensive (involving new pedals cleats and shoes) and also I do walk around in my cycling shoes quite often and this would be harder with road cleats.

OP
OP
helmet tester

helmet tester

you might be starting to get the same condition as me, i've just done a bit research, its called 'intermetatarsal neuroma' and it describes my symptome so a tee. at the mild end you need to avoid rigid and restrictive shoes and you might end up having cortisone injections or surgery, so this may be worth bearing in mind for clipless users, one of the causes is thought to be restrictive shoes, alongside old injuries / impact. its along the lines of an inflamed or trapped nerve caused by or agitated by friction from the surrounding bones. and it bloody hurts. well this is bloody great as its in the very part of the foot in constant contact with your pedal.

so basically for any cyclists experiencing pain, numbness or burning in the ball of the foot shooting up the toes, it could have a lot to do with your footwear - you need plenty room inside the shoe for the foot to move and plenty padding in there.

this makes sense - it eased off a bit when i went back to ordinary pedals and softer more roomy shoes

OP
OP
helmet tester

helmet tester

Out of interest what type of clipless system did you use?

i dont know off the top of my head but they seemed ok. come to think of it the shoes were a bit tight around my toes but this was merely worsening something thats been nagging for years. Had to change back to ordinary pedals and shoes though as the pain was too much and i really didnt want to give up cycling but it got to the point it was too much

andrew_s

Legendary Member
From what I've read, hot foot is caused by pressure on a nerve between the metatarsals, and that the long term solution is either wider shoes (eg Sidi Mega). or ones that have an insole meant to spread the metatarsals (Specialized BG).

A more personal comment is that once you've had a problem, it can take a long time to wear off.
I once had a pair of shoes that had a knot of cotton on the inside that pressed against the outside of the base of the little toe on my right foot. I'd done a number of 100 mile rides without noticing, but about 200 miles into the Bryan Chapman 600k audax I found that the knot was causing agony. I got round by stuffing the shoe with grass. I couldn't wear those shoes for more than a couple of miles for the best part of 2 years, and had to switch to alternative wider model shoes for a similar period.

rmiker

I had similar foot problems that persisted for some years.
When distance walking or cycling I would get a burning or cramping pain in the ball and arch of both feet.
Spent a small fortune trying different boots, shoes, insoles and pedals.

My GP referred me to a Podiatrist who found nothing obviously wrong.

Then, purely by accident I discovered the pain could be the side effect of one of my blood pressure pills.
After a change in medication the burning/cramping pains have gone.
Mike

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm one of these people who has not been able to get on with clipless in the past, but I've put Time Z Freerides on my new bike and am finding them Ok, I like the nice sized platform on them. But as others have said make sure the shoes fit properly as well, if the problem is a general persistent one get down the doctors and see if he can sort it out.

http://www.highonbik...ess-pedals.html

Top Bottom