Power Meter, your view is needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pcandyhk

Hi all,

I am doing a Design Making and Testing project (Mechanical Engineering, Imperial College) on a Power Meter for bikes. Here is a short survey for the initial design stage. Can you please fill the survey at the link below?
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YWQ6LLR

Your input is very important and would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Andy

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Done but it doesn't ask real relevant questions related to power meters imho

gavintc

Guru
I agree with Vengedetta. If a power meter was cheaper, I would buy one. But, your survey looked imore nto cycle computers rather than power meters. For example, I was expecting some questions as to whether I wanted a hub, bottom bracket or pedal system. It would be nice to be transferable, but I dont think that is realistic unless you get a hub version.

OP
OP
P

pcandyhk

I agree with Vengedetta. If a power meter was cheaper, I would buy one. But, your survey looked imore nto cycle computers rather than power meters. For example, I was expecting some questions as to whether I wanted a hub, bottom bracket or pedal system. It would be nice to be transferable, but I dont think that is realistic unless you get a hub version.

Thank you very much for your input!

We are analyzing different ways to determine the torque for the power meter. Put that in the survey would not be useful, as we are not designing the technical bits upon the survey results.
The decision would be based on the cost and complexity primarily. (And more importantly, a design not restricted by existing patent)
However the overall cost/price, and the user interface if any, would be based on the survey, thats why the survey is important.

monkeylc

Über Member
done
Or is it finalized?

Mr Haematocrit

If you want to do power meters follow either Quarq lead or Garmins (but make it work).
Forget hub based power meters such as powertap
The best power meter without doubt is SRM at this time, but its a pita to own.. At this time all my future power meter purchases will be quarq

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I've got a powertap and in hindsight it was the wrong choice. Not because it doesn't work, but because I've had nothing but trouble with the lacing of the wheel and spokes coming loose. My wheel builder says it has to do with the hubs being larger diameter and putting more rotational strain on the spokes. Not sure if that is true, but it makes me cautious when using it, which to me makes it not worth it.

I'm waiting to see what the new rotor power crank retails at, as it had very good reviews at interbike.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Powertap's are a bit limited by default, you either have it on some training wheels or on racing wheel's (or have more than 1 of them). Or you use the same wheels for everything. I like the SRM meter's because you can switch wheels or move the power meter from bike to bike, meaning you can train, race and TT all with a power meter.

Mr Haematocrit

The issue with SRM is that the battery can not be replaced by the user, You have to ship it back to SRM to do this. Quarq by contrast has batterys which can be replaced by the user.
I find Quarq to be as good as SRM

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Powertap's are a bit limited by default, you either have it on some training wheels or on racing wheel's (or have more than 1 of them). Or you use the same wheels for everything. I like the SRM meter's because you can switch wheels or move the power meter from bike to bike, meaning you can train, race and TT all with a power meter.

My PT is in my training wheels, my "race" wheels are lighter and faster, but since I don't race this wheelset gets used for climbing events. Everything else uses the training wheels (Mavic Carbone SL's laced with Sepim black cx-ray spokes and powertap G3 hub).

I too would have gone with the Quarq (probably the new RED based crank).

Top Bottom