Power meters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zigzag

Veteran
fwiw, i also use tacx flow with stages crank and find that tacx trainer is a bit optimistic on power reading (about 7%). easy to offset that on trainerroad, as the software reads from a crank power meter as a primary source and adjusts resistance accordingly.
i've also used quark dzero crankset (now with my dad), found it very good (same as the stages it can transfer the data both via bluetooth and ant+ protocols).
i prefer crank power meters, so that i can use my favourite wheels and pedals.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The lower end tacx trainers are nothing but optimistic, they don't have built in power meter so not even comparable to each other nor to a stages (which may or not be somewhat inaccurate)

zigzag

Veteran
The lower end tacx trainers are nothing but optimistic, they don't have built in power meter so not even comparable to each other nor to a stages (which may or not be somewhat inaccurate)
tacx neo was even more "optimistic" (8-9%), although it is supposed to be more accurate.. i trust stages readings as they are very close to wattbike's data.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Tacx neo is within 1-2% nothing comes closer except maybe elite drivo.

It is what many would consider the gold standard, much like SRM is/was for road applications

Last edited:

zigzag

Veteran
Tacx neo is within 1-2% nothing comes closer except maybe elite drivo.

It is what many would consider the gold standard, much like SRM is/was for road applications
so then it makes two stages powermeters, quark dzero and wattbike underestimate the power - i do not think that's the case. most smart/ergo trainers overestimate (neo is no exception) the power, trainerroad has a way around this well known and documented "feature".

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
But you can trust randoms on the internet? And we wonder how Donald Trump got elected...

Probably just as well he doesn't read DCR's reviews if he doesn't even have the attention span required to follow this thread.

Trouble is on here people go of topic. i have got the answers i wanted, i would rather hear a few opinions from people who are using the meters, rather than someone who tries them out for a few hours and then writes a bit about them. it's the long term use that matters. i normally ignore all the crap on here, I wish people would read the threads and answer the questions, if you don't know then that's good enough, leave it for people who do.:wacko:

T.M.H.N.E.T

DCRM is a triathlete who races and trains with power. He's a goto independent blogger for many companies.

His knowledge of the products and testing capability/data comparison far exceeds most of ours. Don't write him off soo easily

T.M.H.N.E.T

so then it makes two stages powermeters, quark dzero and wattbike underestimate the power - i do not think that's the case. most smart/ergo trainers overestimate (neo is no exception) the power, trainerroad has a way around this well known and documented "feature".
Do you actually believe that powermatch is compensating an innacurate neo by taking power off a left hand crank stages?

If you're taking 300w off a stages which is obviously single leg power doubled, you're using the superior device as nothing more than a resistance unit. I've a stages on my bike thats currently on my neo.

Guess which one power is coming from?

Last edited:

zigzag

Veteran
Do you actually believe that powermatch is compensating an innacurate neo by taking power off a left hand crank stages?
yes, it keeps the readings consistent both when i train inside and when riding outside. otherwise i get a false impression that i'm either too strong or too weak. left crank stages power meter suits me as my l/r power balance is 50%/50% (tested multiple times on a wattbike), so the data is accurate as far as i'm concerned.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
i would rather hear a few opinions from people who are using the meters, rather than someone who tries them out for a few hours and then writes a bit about them. it's the long term use that matters.

DC Rainmaker uses them for rather more than "a few hours". What's more, he uses a wide range of all the different power meters on the market so can offer the insight of comparative study that most regular consumers can't. Rather than just dismiss them out of hand, why don't you actually look at his reviews to get an idea why other people rate him so highly?

As for "opinions of people who are using the meters", long-term use is of no value without the insight and experience to be able to evaluate the evidence that provides. If you're getting your expert advice from internet forums, just be careful whose opinion you trust.

T.M.H.N.E.T

yes, it keeps the readings consistent both when i train inside and when riding outside. otherwise i get a false impression that i'm either too strong or too weak. left crank stages power meter suits me as my l/r power balance is 50%/50% (tested multiple times on a wattbike), so the data is accurate as far as i'm concerned.
Most if not everyone training specifically indoors would want actual power from the most obviously accurate device.

Using a stages to control a high end trainer is not that and cannot be, each to their own.

Top Bottom