Power meters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zigzag

Veteran
Well, no - not exactly. Wattbike powerbalance is a bit of a myth.

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/left-right-out-of-balance.html
thanks for the article, i'm not looking for 100% accuracy/perfection, i aim for consistency indoors and outside which crank power meters and wattbike provide. wattbike also plots a graph to show where the peaks and troughs are.
3fe8e93c3bf2aac91565bab9c1d075c2.jpg

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
To date there hasnt been a single article proving the benefits or otherwise of a wattbike sausage/peanut.

Just lots of broscience

zigzag

Veteran
Most if not everyone training specifically indoors would want actual power from the most obviously accurate device.

Using a stages to control a high end trainer is not that and cannot be, each to their own.
both neo and stages claim to be accurate within 2%. if people are using smart trainers to ride in the fantasy land of zwift and other virtual platforms, then it is handy to ride on a trainer that transmits inflated watts - you'll rank higher for no extra effort. my objective, as said above, is consistency on the road and indoors.

T.M.H.N.E.T

both neo and stages claim to be accurate within 2%. if people are using smart trainers to ride in the fantasy land of zwift and other virtual platforms, then it is handy to ride on a trainer that transmits inflated watts - you'll rank higher for no extra effort. my objective, as said above, is consistency on the road and indoors.
Could you provide some data that a neo inflates wattage over a stages

S-Express

thanks for the article, i'm not looking for 100% accuracy/perfection, i aim for consistency indoors and outside which crank power meters and wattbike provide. wattbike also plots a graph to show where the peaks and troughs are.

Where do you think the graphs get their data from? The graphs are just as meaningless as the power balance numbers.

T.M.H.N.E.T

there you go, the same session:
https://www.strava.com/activities/773474825
https://www.strava.com/activities/773468457
btw, this is not a go at neo, vast majority of smart trainers over-read power output, even if by few watts (maybe that's what the market wants, same as with oversize clothes labeled one size smaller? ;) )
That could tell you,

A)the stages ran lower than the neo
B)the neo ran higher than the stages
C)the neo went over power
D)the stages was under power
E)the stages is accurate, the neo is not
F)the neo is accurate, the stages is not

zigzag

Veteran
Where do you think the graphs get their data from? The graphs are just as meaningless as the power balance numbers.
i wouldn't call them meaningless as they give a pretty good idea (also in real time) about the pedaling technique, which can be used to adjust pedaling and become more efficient. as for articles proving or disproving the theory - i'd rather look at the graphs of top cyclists and make my conclusions from that.

T.M.H.N.E.T

i wouldn't call them meaningless as they give a pretty good idea (also in real time) about the pedaling technique, which can be used to adjust pedaling and become more efficient. as for articles proving or disproving the theory - i'd rather look at the graphs of top cyclists and make my conclusions from that.
Does Contador riding a peanut on a wattbike tell you that you should also be riding a peanut on a wattbike?

What if you produce more power riding a sausage or pringle?

zigzag

Veteran
That could tell you,

A)the stages ran lower than the neo
B)the neo ran higher than the stages
C)the neo went over power
D)the stages was under power
E)the stages is accurate, the neo is not
F)the neo is accurate, the stages is not
A)the stages ran lower than the neo - that's obvious
B)the neo ran higher than the stages - that's obvious
C)the neo went over power - based on comparison with other power meters - correct
D)the stages was under power - not the case in my experience
E)the stages is accurate, the neo is not - mostly agree
F)the neo is accurate, the stages is not - not the case in my experience

zigzag

Veteran
Does Contador riding a peanut on a wattbike tell you that you should also be riding a peanut on a wattbike?

What if you produce more power riding a sausage or pringle?
the graph shows the smoothness of your pedal strokes. the shape of the graph can vary a bit, but all elite riders have smooth pedaling style which is the most efficient (very little energy wasted for micro accelerations, which happen when pedaling "squares").

T.M.H.N.E.T

the graph shows the smoothness of your pedal strokes. the shape of the graph can vary a bit, but all elite riders have smooth pedaling style which is the most efficient (very little energy wasted for micro accelerations, which happen when pedaling "squares").
I regularly ride thinking "must maintain peanut,sausage not acceptable"

Top Bottom