Power meters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That could tell you,

A)the stages ran lower than the neo
B)the neo ran higher than the stages
C)the neo went over power
D)the stages was under power
E)the stages is accurate, the neo is not
F)the neo is accurate, the stages is not
G both are accurate, but insufficiently precise.

S-Express

i wouldn't call them meaningless as they give a pretty good idea (also in real time) about the pedaling technique, which can be used to adjust pedaling and become more efficient.

The data used to plot the 'pedalling technique' or 'peanut' graphs is the same data used to give you your 'power balance' - and my point is that Wattbike cannot give you these numbers, because it is not measuring left and right power independently. Any numbers it does give you in this context are not going to be reliable and based on nothing more than a 'guesswork' algorithm.

as for articles proving or disproving the theory - i'd rather look at the graphs of top cyclists and make my conclusions from that.

Looking at 'top' cyclists' plots on wattbike makes no difference - the data is just as meaningless.

zigzag

Veteran
A stages more accurate than a neo I actually can't take you seriously anymore.

All the best with your training ;)
all i need is a trainer to show the consistent readings with other power measurement devices that i use. even the lower end flux is more in line with other power meters (still over-reads, as mentioned upthread). from other user experiences, it's a bit of a lottery how accurate a trainer you'll acquire.

the training is going well, thanks, next ftp test in two weeks time - i was training based on fantasy ftp value (by neo), but with the real power meter, so the sessions were harder than they needed to be :training:

S-Express

but all elite riders have smooth pedaling style which is the most efficient

Studies actually show that most elite riders generate more power by pushing harder on the pedals on the downstroke. There's very little evidence to support the 'smooth' pedalling style.

zigzag

Veteran
Studies actually show that most elite riders generate more power by pushing harder on the pedals on the downstroke. There's very little evidence to support the 'smooth' pedalling style.
it depends how you define the downstroke, 1-4, 1-5, 2-5, 1-6 o'clock? the results and efficiency will be quite different.

anyway, i think we have veered quite off topic, good discussion nonetheless!

S-Express

it depends how you define the downstroke, 1-4, 1-5, 2-5, 1-6 o'clock? the results and efficiency will be quite different.

Downstroke = the part where you are applying a downward force to the pedals. Results and efficiency only seem different because that is what the wattbike is telling you. But as I have said before, the wattbike pedalling data is basically just guesswork, so cannot be relied upon as the basis for some kind of training intervention.

S-Express

^Because the wattbike doesn't measure power at the pedal, crank or spider? :smile:

Measured at the BB, so any force generation recorded is going to be the sum of both legs together. The data is split by identifying which pedal happens to be forward of the BB at any particular time. But that's not the same as individual force measurement. It's quite possible to take one foot off the pedals and still register a force input on that side, by simply pulling up with the other pedal - which kind of renders any accurate L/R data as meaningless.

That's my understanding anyway.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Can anyone recommend a good power meter, Did not want to use the rear hub ones. What do you use and how do you rate them.
Derrick , I got my stages from Sigma sport as they where local to me ( and you i think ) They also did it at a good price and with my discount it was £20 more than the best price i had found .
The best price was from powermeter24 but they didn't actually have the item to sell me . Just kept my money for two months until it was taken off them by paypal . I'd steer clear of them if you go online shopping .

Top Bottom