Power meters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ive had a stages Gen 2 for a few months now and enjoying the data . I've found out im lazy though even though i thought i was smashing it all the time i'm actually not . You'll be surprised at how much effort is required to average 150 watts over a ride .

Norry1

Legendary Member
I have the Power Tap Hub Powermeters and the Powertap P1. Both seem to be very accurate. Both are very easy to use.

Downside to me are:

Powertap Hubs - you can't just buy and use the latest great deal on wheels.

P1 Pedals - you have to use their cleats. Bit of a pain as I like SPDs.

P1 pedals are really easy to swap between bikes - and if you hire bikes on holiday abroad etc, are much easier to carry with you.

Powermeters made me look at my cycling and training differently - so I'd say if you want to improve your riding in a targeted way, they may be for you if you can afford them.

Martin

huwsparky

Über Member
You're obviously not familiar with the DCR site then. His reviews are pretty much 'the word'. But given the above, it doesn't matter anyway.
Agree. Can't believe how anal he is about finding/proving what's accurate and what's not and the lengths he goes to. When looking for reviews, personally, I don't look any further than DCR. He's cost me a small fortune!:laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The fact that DCR exists, and provides good info is no argument against canvassing personal experiences of bits of cycling kit on here.

I've done exactly this when considering GPS units, because - good as he is - he doesn't have time or space to go into detail of every single feature, and may not have experience of practical issues that emerge with long term use, or experience of after sales problems etc.

I find threads like this quite interesting even though I have no interest in owning a power meter.

OP
OP
derrick

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Mate, running 10 head units and 4 power meters on one bike surely has to constitute anal in anyone's book.
Who is doing this?

S-Express

The fact that DCR exists, and provides good info is no argument against canvassing personal experiences of bits of cycling kit on here.

It is when the prospective owner simply wants 'all the gear' by their own admission. In which case having 'no idea' is a perfectly acceptable position to be in.

Tin Pot

Guru
Can anyone recommend a good power meter, Did not want to use the rear hub ones. What do you use and how do you rate them.
Powertap P1S pedals

Can be moved between bikes, gym bikes, taken on holiday, used on turbo and outside.

Pairs with iPhone and plethora of apps, yada yada. I might write an app to display power on the Apple Watch as there isn't one I can see as yet.

Perfect, unless single leg drills are really important to you.

I've just bought a Quarq DZero - seems fine so far but very early days. I wanted bluetooth, ant+, easy-ish transfer between bikes (one with disk brakes and the other without), ability to use SPDs (didn't want to commute with lots of traffic lights on look-style pedals) and power to include both legs.

Bluetooth narrowed the choice down a lot, switching between the two bikes and no look-style left crankset/crank arm measurement realistically.

I dismissed the C1 since I've had FSA chainrings before and I have never had any chainring get worn out quite so quickly (1 years riding) which I could have just about overlooked if they were cheap, but they're (on last checking) more than double the price of Shimano 105 chainrings!

I ordered a Watteam Powerbeat on the strength of DC Rainmaker's review then realised I had an FC5750 105 crank not the 5800 - thus adding an extra £100 or so bringing it very close to the Quark price (who are owned by SRAM and offer a 2 year warranty). IF Watteam had been in business longer I'd probably have gone with that since you can (in future) attach sensors to multiple cranks and just swap the pods. So I cancelled that order...

Just received and fitted a Quarq DZero and so far (1 day and 2 workouts) it seems fine - although disappointingly its confirmed my suspicion (and other users' reports) that the Tacx Flow over-reports power...

Red17

Veteran
Just received and fitted a Quarq DZero and so far (1 day and 2 workouts) it seems fine - although disappointingly its confirmed my suspicion (and other users' reports) that the Tacx Flow over-reports power...

I've noticed the opposite with my Tacx Flow - it reports about 10% less than my stages power meter

Top Bottom