POWER

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
BTW, given we just generally just want to know of one thing is faster than another, the absolute numbers don't matter right? Just the trend, i.e. lower CdA = less drag, and assuming power output is preserved or even increased, it also = faster. So why care about Crr too much as long as it is constant? Which is will be if using the same venue, same tyres, same tyre pressure in the same conditions, i.e. the same day. Does it not only start to matter when you compare across CdA values from various dates or different venues?

GrasB

Veteran
Incorrect Crr data will make it much harder to get CdA data which is good enough for marginal gain data.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
How small are you talking when you say marginal gain? Change wise, i.e. with incorrect Crr, would you be able to tell which wheel is faster, road wheel or trispoke? Which is faster helmet resting flat against back vs sticking up in the air? etc. Right now, I am not trying to tell which is faster aero glove or skin and anything quite so small.

The tests I want to perform regard elbow width primarily plus some other changes such as getting my head lower. I want my head lower, elbows closer. This will definitely reduce frontal area.

i.e. I want to crudely optimise my position quickly.

GrasB

Veteran
Usually it's non-sensical results. Eg a Zipp 808 is less aerodynamic than a generic 50mm V rim. It's worse if you're low on Crr. That's an obviously bad result but if you're tuning you'll be making changes which you're unsure of & at that point you've got to look very carefully at the data. This is why I use two methods to verify everything - VE, back modelling to weight, Coast down (always soft pedal when doing a coast down).

PS. if anyone tells you a coast down regression isn't as accurate as power meter calculation they're talking rubbish. You're doing the same basic process however because the coast down regression assumes 0 power the equations are applied in a different way.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Some random PM musings.

Left my Garmin at work yesterday, so had an unmeasured and unlogged ride to work this morning. Weird feeling. Like being naked.

Manually entering estimated power data feels like cheating. Ah well.

My performance manager has taken a massive pounding. I was on holiday last week for 10 days - no bike - and my both my STS and LTS have plummeted. STS from 130 to 35. Okay fine I felt rested. LTS from 95 to 75. :eek: That's equivalent to going back 6 weeks on training load. I certainly wasn't expecting that. I have also had a cold since I got back, so I am not on plan for rebuilding STS. Groan.

GrasB

Veteran
I had almost a month of non-training due to an injury (nothing to do with cycling). Everything dropped through the floor, however it didn't take that long once back in training to gain everything back again. Actually in some ways it's been good having so much time off. I've been a little more motivated & fully rested, thus able to put in some epic training sessions.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
That's reassuring thanks. I kind of knew that at an intellectual level, but I had a definite visceral rising panic sensation as I realised quite how low the LTS was plunging. It's good to reflect that there is an upside as well.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What is more alarming is that your LTS is/was 95! Sounds like a very large number. I train 8 hours a week and run at ~75 TSS/d.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I train at about 150 TSS per riding day, with about 12 hours per week on average. I did one 500 TSS ride a few weeks back which pushed the LTS up about 10 points all by itself, but dug me a screamer of a hole to climb out of.

Edited: Actually to make a better comparison I average out around 100 TSS/day over the month.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Lost my head unit at the weekend, so am riding blind at the moment. No power, no speed , no time. Weird.

Have to keep reminding myself that my legs are still logging the miles.

Replacement on it's way. Hallelujah!

Top Bottom