Pr*cks on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's not all bad. I was in London yesterday cycling between Ealing and Euston. On the way back in rush hour there were crowds of cyclists stopped at various lights. I stopped at red on the Brompton Road, two stopped alongside me, one zapped through. My comment that there's always one idiot met with rueful laughter.

spen666

Legendary Member
I have a 12 mile commute and the last 2 miles into London in the morning and the first 2 miles out of London at night are the bits I enjoy the least, mainly due to the volume of inconsiderate cyclists. I tend to slow down and hang back for those two miles to let the idiots get on with it.

I can anticipate the actions of cars, buses and taxis, but having bikes hover rounds me, take my braking space, undertake me and half wheel me is a constant problem; but only for those 2 miles, the other 10 miles are great.

I am amazed that we have as few accidents than we do; it's often only the swift actions of drivers taking evasive action that protects these cyclists from injury.

I agree

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There's a way we can help the future. I'm old enough that my father cycled for transport though he was never a club cyclist. He taught me basic maintenance and the highway code. The next generation went straight to mopeds and cars and never learned to cycle. Thus, knowledge wasn't passed on. So teach your kids the Highway code. Show them that a bike's a grown-up form of transport and riding one involves rights and responsibilities just like any other vehicle.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I am not so sure. What is the percentage of drivers that regularly speed? The issue is that much of the law-breaking by motorists is deemed socially acceptable by many people, and many motorists. So therefore it gets overlooked. Whereas the law breaking by cyclists is a convenient tool to prod cyclists with when we get uppity about things.

There is also a law of diminishing returns here. Cycling, like walking, is a right on the highways, and as such will always have very variable levels of competence. By all means have awareness campaigns for cyclists, training days and so on (in the same way that pedestrians get taught and made aware). Also make sure the worst transgressions are dealt with. But without a major change to the cyclists relationship with road use, we have to accept that there will be variable competence out there, as there are pedestrians who are alert and others who wander around in a trance.

As a motorist I feel it is right for the bar of competence to be set higher than cyclists and pedestrians and for there to be more responsibility placed on the person trained to use a vehicle.

I view transgressions such as endemic speeding (my 20mph road is an utter joke, and kids play on the street whilst vans and cars break the limits to get to the next queue in the rat-run) as more dangerous - problems which won't be resolved whilst the common perception of these transgressions is that they are minor. And that is without going into the 13% of uninsured motorists in London.

Motorists treating cyclists with care so that they don't endanger them shouldn't be predicated on all cyclists becoming law-abiding beforehand. In the same way that motorists shouldn't assume it OK to harass and endanger pedestrians because some aren't attentive to roads.

I totally agree with your sentiment here but the only point in your post that is relevant to mine is the issue of competence levels which I accept will have a direct effect on the "total" skill of cyclists.

Other than that, I'm sorry but your post just sounds like a "well cars are worse than us so its fine" responce.

Axe murderes are even worse than us so perhaps we should all jump reds and cruise pavements as we are far ahead of the curve on that comparison.

Comparing us to cars doesn't help. We need to improve cyclists skills (and attitudes) and forget about what others do or don't do...we need to get on with it and stop making excuses for crap riding by constantly comparing ourselves to the next worst thing.

getting a bit ranty...sorry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I wish I saw more cyclists on my commute to comment upon. Two hours a day riding and I'm very lucky/surprised if it gets into double figures per day more than once or twice a month.

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
I welcome the wobblers and the pr1cks. They teach drivers to be more careful around all of us, and they help to make cycling safer. Bring them on, and bring them on in droves!!!

all fine until they knock you off and you end up under a taxi

spen666

Legendary Member
I welcome the wobblers and the pr1cks. They teach drivers to be more careful around all of us, and they help to make cycling safer. Bring them on, and bring them on in droves!!!

Sadly Mickety in your Utopia it may well be the case that they teach drivers to be more careful, but here in the real world all they do is annoy and frustrate motorists and make them hate all cyclists as they tar us all with the same brush - in much the same way as cyclists tar all young drivers as chave and all taxi drivers as homicidal maniacs

The wobblers are not the issue as we all have to learn, but those pr*cks are the problem

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
[QUOTE 1794129, member: 1314"]I'm with Becs. And BM funnily enough. More bikes are great. But wish they would stop undertaking me, passing too close...showing me up by going faster than me on flat pedals is the worse, though.[/quote]
especially when they are girls :girl:

al78

Guru
I wish I saw more cyclists on my commute to comment upon. Two hours a day riding and I'm very lucky/surprised if it gets into double figures per day more than once or twice a month.

I never see more than three on any one day, and that is with about an hour and 20 mins cycling in total.

Where do you commute?

Top Bottom