Pr*cks on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
100% with mikey on this one.Mobiles,Satnavs and anything that distracts your attention are a no no in your protective metal box,even if your metal box protects you from a cock up it doesn't protect the outside world.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
He's wrong,any distraction is a bad thing.

Norm

[QUOTE 1804508, member: 9609"] I asked a police patrol driver and his explanation was the mic is usually on a curly springy bit of wire so the driver can leave go at any time - I was wanting to ask if I could attach a curly springy bit of wire to my mobile phone, but thought that might be seen as flippant!

Top gear like to exploit this anomaly on TV by using two way radios whilst driving - and they aren't attached to springy bits of wire either. ( I didn't tell that to the policeman either)[/quote]
He's arguably wrong, as are the TG chaps, as the Road Traffic Act 1988 (amended) says:
41D: Breach of requirements as to control of vehicle, mobile telephones etc. A person who contravenes or fails to comply with a construction and use requirement—
(a) as to not driving a motor vehicle in a position which does not give proper control or a full view of the road and traffic ahead, or not causing or permitting the driving of a motor vehicle by another person in such a position, or
(b) as to not driving or supervising the driving of a motor vehicle while using a hand-held mobile telephone or other hand-held interactive communication device, or not causing or permitting the driving of a motor vehicle by another person using such a telephone or other device,
I'd consider a CB or a hand-held radio to be a "similar device (that must be held at some point)", although I understand that case law doesn't agree with me and allows the use of radios.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
BBC Breakfast had a report this morning about a stall holder refusing to serve people using mobiles.
Perhaps they should put him in charge of traffic patrols, then the number of driving phone users might decrease.

The Cafe at Faygate on the FNRttC Bognor/Felpham run also has a sign saying you will not be served if you are on a mobile phone.

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
Have any of you lot whining about using a phone, hands free when driving actually tried it, it really isn't that difficult!

You'll be banning kids fighting in the back of mummy's car next - much more distracting than a phone call!

Jezston

Über Member
Have any of you lot whining about using a phone, hands free when driving actually tried it, it really isn't that difficult!

You'll be banning kids fighting in the back of mummy's car next - much more distracting than a phone call!

I've used a phone hands free whilst riding a bike if that helps. The conversation usually goes something along the lines of "on bike call you back" [beep]

I'm also not sure why anyone, especially mummys, would be against a ban against kids fighting in the back of cars!

400bhp

Guru
Very interestring. Very unusual that their evidence suggests no change to crash risks. I wonder if there is some unusual characteristic of the situation in Sweden that makes it different than most others?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The facts that you were careful enough to slow down, choose a quiet bit of road, and keep the conversation simple and short kinda gives the lie to that though. Of course it's a credit to your responsible approach, but it's full-on risk compensation showing that you fully acknowledged the real dangers and took a number of steps to mitigate them.

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 1804952, member: 9609"]

1. TBH I used to occasionally use a mobile while driving (before it was outlawed) and I never felt it was a particularly dangerous thing to do, I would choose a quiet section of road, slow down a bit, speed dial the wife tell her what time I would be home and that would be it, no conversation; I don't believe that posed any danger whatsoever, no more taxing that changing radio stations.

2.The problem in the UK is the total obsession that so many people have with these dam phones, people were, (and still are) making entire journeys while on the phone, busy town centre busy motorway junctions, the phone is never put down, and that is why there was a need for a ban. May be the Sweedish have a different approach to mobile phones, may be they have a little more to their lives other than the need to yak non stop on a phone.[/quote]

1. A sensible approach, however you are/were in the minority.

2. Perhaps you are right and perhaps the Swedes on the whole go with your approach in 1.

I recall reading some stuff about the swedes and their driving standards -think nothing of driving on ice covered roads and understand the dynamics to be able to control a car. Perhaps the Swedes are the Master Race.

Top Bottom