Pre Diabetes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I've just had a surprising test result for my long term glucose level!

My haemoglobin A1C result puts my glucose level where I should take proactive steps to reduce my weight, especially around my midriff.

My recent doctors appointment basic health checks came back normal. I decided to test my glucose daily with a meter and my results came back within the normal range, so I wasn't overly concerned and since I began a weight loss program by going with low carbohydrates and high fat diet LC/HF.

However the gold standard for assessing blood glucose is to have the A1C test. This eliminates the daily photo shot test results from a standard glucose test. The basic idea behind the long term test is that when glucose is present in the blood stream, some of it sticks to the blood cells and doesn't get released. Blood cells last around 3-4 months before they die and are replaced by the body. So being able to read this level of (sticky) glucose is a perfect marker to gauge long term levels.

Now the shocker, some 25% of adults don't know they have diabetes and 90% don't know they're pre-diabetic! If you don't know you're pre-diabetic then then is a high probability you and I will develop full blown type 2 diabetes within 5 years.

I now will have to change my lifestyle long term to reverse my A1C glucose. I will test again in 4 months time to see if my level has began to drop. Its not a rapid process and can take quiet a long time, especially if the healthy diet isn't maintained.

I paid for my test online, via Lloyds pharmacy ( its the diabetes test ), but your GP should conduct the A1C test especially if you have a weight issue and raise your concerns about your health. The test involves a small blood sample from a pin prick in the skin to be sent to a laboratory. My result came back in less than 48 hours

90% don't know- get checked :okay:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My GP offers the "over-40s health-check" every 5 years, and that includes the HbA1C test.
So for those of a certain age, there's no excuse not to have those glucose levels checked periodically. They also assess risk of heart disease and so on. Not sure if Covid has affected access to these checks, or even if all GPs offer it; worth investigating.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My GP offers the "over-40s health-check" every 5 years, and that includes the HbA1C test.
So for those of a certain age, there's no excuse not to have those glucose levels checked periodically. They also assess risk of heart disease and so on. Not sure if Covid has affected access to these checks, or even if all GPs offer it; worth investigating.

Not all GPs offer the over 40s check every 5 years. I was invited for over 40s at 48 and haven’t been invited since. More than 5 years have passed.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Not all GPs offer the over 40s check every 5 years. I was invited for over 40s at 48 and haven’t been invited since. More than 5 years have passed.
Nobody's ever invited me for an over 40s check but I'm only 43. I guess I could do my HbA1c at work if I was worried - we have picked up diabetic members of staff before during training and analyser validation procedures.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Never been invited for any health checks and now 62.

Haven't a clue what my cholesterol or blood sugars could be and the way things are going, I can't see routine health screening starting back for a long time.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good luck getting blood tests done by NHS GP, my practice can’t do anything routine due to lack of blood tubes (I need a vitamin D check ideally before seeing rheumatologist).

If not had a health check and want one, just ask the practice and see what they say. I think mine got booked in when seeing either doctor or nurse for something else

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
It seems pretty much what our family member who was a GP. The testing is patchy at best.

She suggested that to over egg your health concerns and suggest that you want an HBA1C test, and anything else you can get them to do also

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Nobody's ever invited me for an over 40s check but I'm only 43. I guess I could do my HbA1c at work if I was worried - we have picked up diabetic members of staff before during training and analyser validation procedures.
Never been invited for any health checks and now 62.

Haven't a clue what my cholesterol or blood sugars could be and the way things are going, I can't see routine health screening starting back for a long time.

Good luck getting blood tests done by NHS GP, my practice can’t do anything routine due to lack of blood tubes (I need a vitamin D check ideally before seeing rheumatologist).

If not had a health check and want one, just ask the practice and see what they say. I think mine got booked in when seeing either doctor or nurse for something else

Good advice, Vickster.
My GP never contacted me either - I enquired after hearing media stories about Health Checks.
They were only too pleased to book me in. So pleased, in fact, that I think they must get a bonus.

But the checks weren't a high priority, I had to wait several weeks even pre-Covid when supply chains were secure. I imagine the checks are a much lower priority today, but if you don't ask you don't get.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
They were only too pleased to book me in. So pleased, in fact, that I think they must get a bonus.
They do get a payment for conducting tests.

Financial incentive, you'd think GPs would be knocking down all their patients doors :laugh:

Tenkaykev

Guru
There have been various health initiatives over the years where money is directed to one particular area and the GP surgeries get paid to implement them. Once the funds dry up the GP surgeries generally stop offering them.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I had a whole battery of tests last year when I had my TIA (mini stroke) and everything came out well, including diabetes tests. Although I don't know if they used that particular A1C test. Still I'm inside "normal" on the BMI (yes, I know, BMI blah blah) chart for the first time in decades, so weight is under control.

carpiste

Guru
I`ve been getting blood pressure, blood tests regularly from my health centre for several years. They always contact me once a year without fail and I arrange an appointment to see the practice nurse with a follow up visit, or since covid, a telephone consultation with my GP.
Keeping regular appointments and having these simple tests prevents a lot of long term issues and makes sense to any group practice so I am surprised when I hear the above comments.
I actually had my latest blood tests last week and just waiting for the results.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I actually had my latest blood tests last week and just waiting for the results
It's good news to hear that someone is getting regularly tested.

It would be interesting to know which particular tests were carried out.

My GPs just generally say everything is normal, I have to literally interrogate them to explain the results in detail.

Top Bottom